Methods of historical research
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
M-STO/01 - MEDIEVAL HISTORY
Sem. 2A dal Feb 21, 2011 al Apr 10, 2011.
To improve the approach to past and present history through the study of the instruments and of the methods of historical research, and through analysis of the complex problem of the Italian National Identity.
1) The word History. The reasons to study History.
2) The consideration of the historical research in contemporary Italy.
3) The historical narration. Historical novels and pictures.
4) A brief survey of Historiography. Today New History.
5) The historical research: the methods.
6) Historical sources. Extrasources.
7) Bibliography, Historiography and Philosophy of History.
8) Archives, Museums, Libraries for the study of History.
9) The Italian Character.
10) The idea of Italy in the Middle Ages. Dante’s, Purgatory, canto VI.
11) Francesco Petrarca
12) The Middle Ages myths in the Romanticism
13) Manzoni and the Middle Ages
14) The struggle for freedom of Medieval Commune in the Risorgimento
15) The mediaeval legacy in today’s Italian identity.
Bibliography. Required readings:
1) P. GOLINELLI, Leggere, scrivere, insegnare storia, Pàtron, Bologna 2010
2) E. GALLI DELLA LOGGIA, L’identità italiana, Il Mulino, Bologna 1998.
Stundents who can’t attend to the lessons have to read:
P. GOLINELLI, Medioevo romantico italiano, Mursia, Milano 2011.
If the publisher couldn’t print this book in time, students who don’t attend to lessons can ask the dossier of the course to the teacher, during the office hour.
Written test “in itinere”, and oral final exam.