Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
SECS-P/13 - COMMODITY SCIENCES
Primo semestre Magistrali dal Sep 26, 2016 al Jan 13, 2017.
The first part of the course is mainly dedicated to offer an essential knowledge of the concept of sustainability in a strict environmental sense. The second part studies how literature and policy link environmental sustainability to economic and social sustainability, respectively in the theoretical field of analysis and in the practical field of implementation. The third part analyses some specific approaches to local sustainability, particularly in the energy sector and in the waste management.
1) The concept of sustainability
2) Sustainable use of natural resources.
3) The natural capital and carrying capacity. The debate between strong sustainability and weak sustainability.
4) The three dimensions of sustainability: environmental, economic and social.
5) Environmental externalities and economic regulations.
6) Sustainability indicators for industrial and consumer goods -Life Cycle assessment- and for territorial and social agglomerations - the ecological footprint and the Quality of Life Indicators.
7) The policies for sustainable development adopted by the European Union
8) The sustainability problem in the energy sector and in waste management.
Textbook: M.T. Mossello (2008), “Politica dell’ambiente. Analisi, azioni, progetti”, Publisher: Il Mulino, Bologna.
Oral exam. Students could ask for a written test at the end of the course.The final assessment will be based on the knowledge and analytical skills demonstrated by the student, especially for what concerns the evolving relationship between environment, economy and society, and related policies.