Plant genetics and breeding
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
AGR/07 - AGRICULTURAL GENETICS
Language of instruction
II sem. dal Mar 1, 2018 al Jun 15, 2018.
The course aims at illustrating principles of genetic transmission at molecular, cellular and population level. Mendelian, molecular and population genetics elements will be taught. Existing traditional grapevine breeding methods, based on natural and induced genetic variability, and modern plant breeding instruments, genomic based, will be reviewed.
• Genetics meaning and its impact on the modern era.
• Genetics, biology and biotechnology
• Genetics grounds on variation
• The Early Concepts of Heredity.
• Mendel's Laws of Inheritance.
• Chromosome Theory of Heredity,
• Linkage and Linear Arrangement of Genes,
• Genetic Recombination and Mechanism,
• Gene Interactions,
• Multiple Alleles,
• Genes and Environment,
• Genetic Determination of Quantitative Traits ,
• Genetic Basis of Sex Determination,
• Genes in Human Heredity
• Chromosomes, Genes, and DNA,
• Gene Mutations,
• DNA Content and Variation,
• Gene Structure and Concept,
• Gene Function,
• General Nature of the Genetic Code,
• Specific Nature of the Genetic Code,
• Transfer and Translation of Genetic Information,
• Regulation of Gene Activity,
• Chromosome Rearrangements,
• Evolution of Diploids and Polyploids,
• DNA Finds New Ways of Generating Variability,
• Quantitative genetics
• Johanssen and East.
• Environmental variation and genetics.
• Quantitative trait selection
• Hereditability and Selection pressure.
• GXE interaction
• Grapevine genetics and genomics
• Plant breeding methodologies in asexual propagated species.
• Grapevine breeding.
• Modern plant breeding in grapevine
Learning will be assessed by an oral exam for both attending and non-attending students. To access the oral exam students need to deliver at least a week before the test reports relating to laboratory activities with compulsory attendance.
The aim of the test is to ascertain the extend and the deepness of the knowledge of the topics covered in the program.
The final assessment is expressed in thirtieths.