History of the Italian Language (p)
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
L-FIL-LET/12 - ITALIAN LINGUISTICS
CuCi IB dal Nov 9, 2020 al Jan 9, 2021.
The course aims to improve the knowledge related to literary Italian through the reading and analysis of chosen poetic texts of authors who, through their poems, contributed to the formation and evolution of the Italian language. The expected learning outcomes are:
• formation and development of the Italian language from its origins to contemporaneity;
• evolution of literary Italian language;
• main metric and stylistic aspects starting from the poetic texts analyzed;
• different methods of analysis of the poetic text.
• to recognize the traits of continuity and discontinuity in the language of Italian poetry from its origins to its contemporaneity;
• to evaluate the linguistic, stylistic and metric aspects in poetic texts by different authors in a diachronic perspective;
• to autonomously interpret a poetic text starting from the linguistic and stylistic analysis;
• to formulate assessments and judgments, motivating them with the appropriate arguments.
The course offers the linguistic analysis of a selection of exemplary poetic texts by authors who contributed to the formation and stabilization of poetic Italian. From the analysis of the texts, both the linguistic specificities of the individual authors and the more general directions of evolution of the poetic language from its origins to the twentieth century will be derived. Particular importance will be attributed to the formation of the poetic language, to the debate around the "Questione della lingua" and to the crisis of traditional poetic language between the 19th and 20th centuries.
The reference bibliography is the following:
a) Sergio Bozzola, La lirica. Dalle origini a Leopardi, Bologna, Mulino, 2012.
b) Andrea Afribo, Arnaldo Soldani, a poesia moderna. Dal secondo Ottocento a oggi, Bologna, Mulino, 2012.
c) Sergio Bozzola, La crisi della lingua poetica tradizionale, in Storia dell’italiano scritto. I. La poesia, a cura di Giuseppe Antonelli, Matteo Motolese e Lorenzo Tomasin, Roma, Carocci 2014, pp. 353-402 (only for non-attending students)
||La crisi della lingua poetica tradizionale (in Storia dell'italiano scritto. I. La poesia, a cura di G. Antonelli, M. Motolese, L. Tomasin, pp. 353-402)
||La lirica. Dalle origini a Leopardi
|Andrea Afribo - Arnaldo Soldani
||La poesia moderna. Dal secondo Ottocento a oggi
The exam is a written exam and is intended to ascertain the knowledge relating to the topics of the course. In particular the student must:
- be able to answer general questions on the history of the Italian poetic language;
- be able to propose a linguistic analysis of one of the poems analyzed in class.