Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
NN - -
Language of instruction
CuCi IA, CuCi IB, CuCi IIA, CuCi IIB
The aim of the course is to introduce the fundamentals of phonetics, morphology and Latin syntax. The course is addressed both to beginner students and to those who intend to consolidate previous knowledge. At the end of the course, the student will have acquired basic knowledge related to phonetics, the morphology of the parts of the phrase (e.g. noun, verb, etc.), the essential lexicon and the basic syntax of the Latin language. Moreover, the student will be able to make a morphological and syntactic analysis of Latin sentences and to identify the logical function and the semantic value of their elements. Lastly, the student will be able to acquire the first bases for a correct method of comprehension and translation of Latin sentences and simple texts.
I semester: morphology:
• the alphabet, accent and reading rules;
• the inflectional language: the 5 declensions of nouns and the 2 classes of adjectives;
• the finite modes of the verb in active and passive diathesis: morphology, translation, values and uses;
• the main complements and the logical analysis;
• the basic vocabulary;
• the inflection of pronouns (personal, demonstrative, definite, indefinite, relative, interrogative, negative);
• the non-finite modes of the verb: morphology only;
• deponent and semi-deponent verbs;
• the comparative and superlative degree of adjectives and adverbs;
• the method of analysis and translation.
II semester: syntax of the period:
• the main clause;
• the coordinate clause;
• the dependent clause;
• the consecutio temporum;
• the non-finite modes of the verb: uses, values and translations;
• active and passive periphrastic.
The course is in dual mode: both face to face and remotely, in the form of live videoconferencing. Access to live streaming takes place via the Moodle platform of the course, on which all course materials will be available.
||Editor. Corso di lingua e civiltà latina
||Simone per la scuola
The exam will be a multiple choice written test with 20 questions in 40 minutes. Each question will have 3 answer options. There is no final grade but students pass with 3/5 of the correct answers (12/20).
The exams of summer session are in the remote mode.
The test aims to ascertain the learning outcomes expected by students with regard to phonetics, morphology, syntax and vocabulary.
The examination procedures are the same for attending and non-attending students.