Research methodology applied to sport
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
M-EDF/02 - SPORT SCIENCES AND METHODOLOGY
2° semestre motorie dal Mar 1, 2021 al May 31, 2021.
Acquire knowledge on applied research methods in sports disciplines and physical activity in general to be able to assess the accuracy of the methodology used in published studies and have the ability to independently develop experimental designs
Analysis and retrieval process of scientific literature
Identification and validity of independent and dependent variables
Experimental design (DOE theory, Design of Experiment)
Applied statistics bases
Ethics in scientific experimentation
|W. D. Mcardle, F. I. Katch, V. L. Katch
||FISIOLOGIA APPLICATA ALLO SPORT Aspetti energetici, nutrizionali e performance
||Casa Editrice Ambrosiana
|Gratton C, Jones I
||Research Methods for Sports Studies
| Thomas JR, Nelson J, Silverman S.
||Research Methods in Physical Activity
Evaluation Research Methodology 2021 – University of Verona – Laurent Mourot
Ricerca applicata allo sport - Research methodology applied to sport
Information on MOODLE
To those who want to be evaluated in June 2021
To be sent to email@example.com before 15th of June 2021
The aim of the evaluation is to propose an “ideal” research protocol that will allow you to answer a specific question related to your area of interest (as specified to me during the lectures).
- After an Introduction (not more than 1 page) highlighting the relevant information needed to understand the aim of your study and supported by 5-10 relevant scientific references, clearly express the aim of your study and the underlying hypotheses.
- Propose an “ideal protocol” (having in mind that you have all the materials, devices, participants, etc. you can imagine).
- Specify the protocol
o Description of the Population
o Description of the Methodology (including primary and secondary judgement criteria, number of groups, timeline, main tools that will be used ect.)
- Envisaged statistics procedures.
The description of the Methodology section should be detailed enough so that one can replicate the study just only by reading your proposal (~2-3 pages).
Then, provide a detailed list of the main bias that have to be controlled and how your protocol allow to control them (~1 page).
FORMAT: The document should be written in Times New Roman 12, 1.5 interlining, 2.5 cm margin. The core of the document must not exceed 5 pages. Add a cover page with your name clearly indicated, and one last page for the bibliographic references and additional information you would like to give as annex/appendix.
To those who want NOT to be evaluated in June 2021
The same document a described above should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before 15th of December 2021 or 15th of June 2022.
Additional to this, following the same format.
- A 3 pages summary of the main theoretical and practical points given/discussed during the lectures should be provided.
- A 3 pages summary of the articles and information provided:
- A 3 pages critical review of this article: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32878130/