Physics Education Lab
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
FIS/01 - EXPERIMENTAL PHYSICS
Secondo semestre dal Mar 7, 2022 al Jun 10, 2022.
The course deals with Physics themes that are fundamental for the scientific training of the future School teachers by means of a guided training module in which in addition to the excecution of simple experiments, particular attention is devoted to the preparation of the experiments themselves (e.g. Experiment Description Sheet), the physical set up of the experiments (with different materials and instruments), the definition and the comparison of the experimental methods and procedures, the analysis and the discussion of the experimental data, and the preparation of laboratory and teaching reports. Students are guided to experiments and design instruction strategies aimed at helping high school pupils in understanding physics. They acquire familiarity with both traditional and new teaching tools and multimedia and technologies.
The course is structured in lectures in which the main theoretical aspects will be discussed and the physical topics and laws presented, as well as the experimental method, instruments and experimental procedures and analysis of errors. All the lectures will be also available online. The main part of the course will be dedicated to the experimental activities, some of which wil be designed by the students themselves.
The laboratory sessions will be performed in the laboratory (Cyberphysics laboratory).
The strategy required for an effective learning of the methodology and the contents of the experimental part is to actively and regularly participate in laboratory activities and sessions (participation to the experiments is mandatory).
- Errors theory and basics of Mechanics
- Electricity and Circuits
- Geometrical optics fundamentals
- Principles of wave optics
- Thermology and calorimetry
- Creation of setup for experiments
- Preparation of laboratory cards
- Analysis and discussion of the experimental data
- Hooke law
- Deviation and distribution of forces in simple machines
- Simple pendulum (g determination)
- Resistances measurements, Kirchoff laws verification, voltage division
- Geometrical optics (lens equation, eye model, microscope, ...)
- Wave optics (interference and diffraction )
- Calorimeter (heat capacity and specific heat capacity)
The tools needed for effective learning of the theoretical part are the teaching material provided by the teacher.
During the exam, students must show that:
- they are able to autonomously prepare teaching experimental sessions about physics
- they know and understand the fundamental concepts and formulas of Experimental Error Theory, measurements instruments and experimental methodology
- they are familiar with physical quantities and laws discussed during the course
- they have a good capability of realizing an experiment, in particular, about experimental sessions performed during the course
- they are able to analyse experimental data by means of common softwares and discuss them as function of measurement procedures and experimental parameters used.
The final exam consists of two parts, each of which will contribute 50% to the determination of the vote:
(i) an oral examination, that can be given either in presence or remotely, and
(ii) in a written part. This last is a Laboratory Report about one of the experiments performed during the year.
The admission to the oral exam is subject to the approval of the lab report, that would be done either in Italian or English according to students preference.