Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
M-PSI/04 - DEVELOPMENTAL AND EDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY
Sem. 2A dal Feb 14, 2022 al Mar 26, 2022.
The course aims, firstly, to offer both advanced knowledge and specialist skills in the theoretical, epistemological, methodological and educational issues of the processes of learning and communication in a range of organizational contexts. The second broad aim of the course is to enhance the student’s ability to integrate theoretical and practical knowledge in order to design educational intervention programmes in various contexts. By the end of the course students will be able to: - identify and evaluate the characteristics of the processes of learning, language and communication and their interrelationships, with reference to the main theoretical psychological models; - consider critically the relationships between the individual, social, educational and cultural factors that influence the learning and communicative processes in interpersonal, group, organizational and inter-institutional contexts; - apply the knowledge acquired in designing intervention programmes for the enhancement of communications and learning in various educational contexts: individual, group and service; local, national and international.
The syllabus is divided into three parts:
1) Introduction to the contents of the course. Main theoretical, epistemological, methodological, and applied issues relating to learning and communication processes.
2) Basic conceptual instruments for understanding the psychological mechanisms and the cognitive strategies that enable to communicate within educational and organizational contexts.
Specific theoretical contents:
- basic concepts of communication;
- understanding and production of messages;
- visual codes and verbal codes;
- non verbal communication;
- persuasive communication;
- obstacles towards an efficient communication.
Specific applied contents:
- groups and group communication;
- communication in managing conflicts;
- mass communication;
- public and organizational communication;
- political communication;
- marketing and communication;
- communication and health promotion;
- communication of risk and danger;
- technologies for communication and social media.
3) Examples of projects and intervention programmes in educational and organizational contexts, including public communication campaigns and training on emotions related to natural and technological disasters such as pandemic, earthquakes, floods, fires, etc. Exercises and discussion in small and large groups.
The course will include frontal lessons, aiming at transmitting basic notions, integrated by cooperative learning, aiming at deepening the knowledge on specific aspects of the syllabus. The content of texts and lessons is coherent with the syllabus. Further didactic materials are available from the teacher. The students will be actively involved in group and individual discussions and project work under the supervision of the teacher, to promote their critical reflection on the topics covered. Attendance at the teaching sessions is recommended.
During the whole academic year, in addition, the teacher will receive the students individually, at the times indicates in the website (it is not necessary to arrange specific appointments) which are constantly updated.
During the first lesson, the teacher will present the whole calendar of the didactic activities with dates and topics of the lessons, specifying the time and the rooms.
Texts for the exam:
Ligorio, M. B., De Corte, E., Dochy, F., & Cacciamani, S. (2015). Le scienze dell’apprendimento. Roma: Carocci.
Santrock., J. W. (in stampa). Psicologia dell’educazione. McGraw-Hill.
Lotto, L., & Rumiati, R. (2007). Introduzione alla psicologia della comunicazione. Bologna: Il Mulino.
Raccanello, D., Vicentini, G., & Burro, R. (in stampa). Prevenzione Emotiva e Terremoti nella scuola primaria. Il progetto PrEmT. Un training sui terremoti e sulle emozioni. McGraw-Hill.
Baggio, F. (2013). Assertività e training assertivo. Milano: Franco Angeli.
Toni, A. (2012). Psicologia della comunicazione. Tra informazione, persuasione e cambiamento. LED.
Visualizza la bibliografia con Leganto, strumento che il Sistema Bibliotecario mette a disposizione per recuperare i testi in programma d'esame in modo semplice e innovativo.
The aim of the exam is to verify the extent to which the expected learning results are achieved. In particular, the students will demonstrate that they:
- are familiar with current knowledge in the field of psychology of learning and communication–theoretical and methodological–and its application in educational and organizational contexts;
- have understood the main issues in, and the stages of, the design of training projects in learning and communication skills in various contexts;
- can discuss their knowledge using technical and critical language, typical of psychology, identifying and evaluating the relevant concepts and methodological issues;
- understand and can use the main methodologies in the psychology of learning and communication for project planning in educational and organizational contexts;
- can critically analyse cases studies and the experience discussed, with particular reference to training needs.
The exam is formed by a written part and an optional oral part. Both cover the whole syllabus. The written part includes one open-ended question and ten definitions on theoretical models and learning and communication processes in educational and organizational contexts, and one open-ended question relating to project planning. The duration of the written part is one hour and a half. The oral part is optional, and it consists of an integrative interview requested by the student, after passing the written part.
The evaluation of the exam is expressed in thirties. For the written part, there will be maximum ten points for each of the open-ended questions, and one point for each correct definition. For the oral part, there will be maximum three points.
For students attending the course there will be an intermediate assessment using the same method as the final exam; for them, the open-ended question relating to project planning will be substituted by evaluation of the cooperative group project.
Due to the current Coronavirus-related emergency, the above-mentioned description of the exam is modified as follows, according to the indications from the University of Verona. The exam is formed by closed-ended questions referred to the whole syllabus. The exam will be carried out online. After that the possibility to subscribe for the exam will be closed, I will send to the students an email with the indications on the exams.