Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
M-PED/01 - PEDAGOGY, THEORIES OF EDUCATION AND SOCIAL EDUCATION
Sem. 1A dal Sep 23, 2019 al Oct 31, 2019.
A theory of education expresses a conception of the human flourishing and of the ways through which it can be promoted; coherently, it orients the design of educative experiences aimed at developing the different existentive dimensions of the person. The theory of education on which the course is focused is the Socratic one that conceives education as a practice of care: according to this conception, the mission of the educator consists in encouraging the other to care for him/herself.
Knowledge and understanding:
At the end of the course, students should know the theories of education that, from the antiquity to the present day, develop the conception of education as a practice of care; furthermore, they should have understood how the educative experiences, designed starting from these theories, qualify themselves.
Moreover, students should know what are the fundamental issues that arise from a theoretical reflection on teaching and education, what are the problems that nowadays emerge in the educational contexts and what are the main challenges that the didactic practice has to face today.
Capacity to apply knowledge and understanding:
At the end of the course, students should be able to frame the pedagogical reflection adequately, by giving reference to the fundamental theories of education deepened during the lessons, and its main practical declinations, with reference to educative and didactic projects realized in schools.
Autonomy of judgment:
At the end of the course, students should have developed:
- the capacity to individuate and critically investigate the educational needs of contemporaneity;
- the capacity to critically evaluate the didactic and educative practices, being able to recognize the theoretical perspectives that orient their design;
- the capacity to critically examine the coherence between the educative experiences and the theoretical conceptions to which they explicitly inspire themselves.
The course will present the fundamental principles of the philosophy of care, in connection with the development of a theory of education to virtue ethics, that integrates the Platonic perspective with the Aristotelian one. In particular, the course will focus on the following themes:
- Ethics, care and virtue in Plato and Aristotle
- Phenomenology of care
- Theory of education to virtue ethics in connection with care
- Essence and teachability of virtues
- Socratic conversation as an instrument for the education to virtue ethics
- Mortari, L. (2019). Aver cura di sé. Milano: Raffaello Cortina.
- Mortari, L. e Valbusa, F. (2017). Sentieri di educazione etica. Verona: Edizioni Universitarie Cortina.
- Burroughs, M. D., Valbusa, F., Arda Tuncdemir, T. B., Mortari, L. (2018). MelArete and PEECh: two educational approaches to develop ethical and emotional competences. RicercAzione, 10 (2) (https://www.iprase.tn.it/documents/20178/1593139/08+MelArete+and+PEECh_Burroughs+et+al..pdf/56f80fe5-e61a-4a65-8639-4fdd0c8fa3bb) OR, AS AN ALTERNATIVE, Valbusa, F., Ubbiali, M., & Silva, R. (2018). The Good in the Children’s Thinking. An Educative Research in Kindergarten and Primary School. Encyclopaideia, 22(50), 47-66 (https://encp.unibo.it/article/view/7918/7638)
||Aver cura di sé
|Burroughs, M. D., Valbusa, F., Arda Tuncdemir, T. B., Mortari, L.
||MelArete and PEECh: two educational approaches to develop ethical and emotional competences. RicercAzione, 10 (2).
|Mortari Luigina e Valbusa Federica
||Sentieri di educazione etica
||Edizioni Libreria Cortina Verona
As regard the evaluation tools, different instruments will be used, including open questions, written reports, and oral presentations. The evaluation will concern the capacity of critically managing and rethinking the learning contents, and the comprehension of the fundamental concepts explained in the texts of the course.
Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, and in accordance with the University of Verona guidelines, during the 2020 summer session the assessment modality will be modified as follows: ONLINE ORAL EXAM.