Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
M-STO/08 - ARCHIVAL SCIENCE, BIBLIOGRAPHY AND LIBRARIANSHIP
II SEMESTRE dal Feb 27, 2017 al Jun 10, 2017.
A project-based practicum course focused on creating, editing and publishing in print and/or electronic forms. Including theory and practice, this course examines the fundamental aspects of the contemporary publishing industry. Issues such as layout processes, production, visual design and marketing are explored on a hands-on level with case studies.
By the end of the course students should be able to:
- Gain a complete view of contemporary publishing industry;
- Work with basic elements of editorial design;
- Create a publication, in collaboration with others, tailored to specific purposes, audiences and genres.
- Publishing processes (10 hours): acquisition, editing, production, marketing, sales, distribution;
- Introduction to the elements of editorial design and production (10 hours): printing techniques, color management, formats, devices, typefaces, grids and layouts, covers and packaging;
- International case studies inspired by principles of redesign and rethink (4 hours): Feuilleton, The Times, The Guardian, Snow Fall, Zeit, Sole 24 Ore, Businessweek;
- Practice exercises (12 hours).