Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
L-ART/05 - PERFORMING ARTS
Language of instruction
I semestre (Lingue e letterature straniere) dal Sep 27, 2021 al Jan 8, 2022.
By analyzing specific issues of the History of theatre, we intend to introduce the student to the theoretical and methodological tools offered by the representative medium with particular regard to the field of communication and to the comparison between different theatrical traditions. At the end of the course students will be able to contestualise, comprehend and examine on their own all of the coefficients proposed by a prose show.
Starting from the debut of "Sei personaggi in cerca d’autore" (1921), a text destined to change Italian theatre, Luigi Pirandello proposes a series of meta-theatrical texts which, in denouncing the precarious conditions of Italian stage in the early twentieth century, illustrate how its various components should be reformed: the text, the actor, the audience, the direction, the mise en scène. During the lessons, it will be explored the European theatrical context between the twenties and thirties which the Sicilian author confronts with to create some of his greatest plays.
1. Non-attending students will integrate the bibliography with the study of: Luigi Allegri, "Prima lezione sul teatro", Laterza, 2012.
2. Critical analysis of three plays by Pirandello among the following: "Sei personaggi in cerca d’autore"; "Enrico IV"; "Ciascuno a suo modo"; "Questa sera si recita a soggetto"; "Trovarsi"; "I giganti della montagna".
3. Franco Perrelli, "Le origini del teatro moderno: Da Jarry a Brecht", Roma-Bari, Laterza, 2016.
4. Study of a drama of your choice among the following: Sofocle, "Antigone"; Ariosto, "La cassaria"; Shakespeare, "La bisbetica domata"; Molière, "Il malato immaginario"; Goldoni, "Il teatro comico"; Ibsen, "La signora del mare"; Čechov, "Il gabbiano"; Strindberg, "Il pellicano"; Brecht, "Vita di Galileo"; Beckett, "Aspettando Godot".
5. Study of the first seven chapters of the following manual: Luigi Allegri (a cura di), Storia del teatro. Le idee e le forme dello spettacolo dall’antichità a oggi, Roma, Carocci, 2017, pp. 15-287.
Lectures alongside the analysis of sources of various kinds (archive documents, iconography, theatrical performances, films, video fragments, audio, etc.).
Conferences, sources, readings, and critical texts will be further specified during the course. Some materials, necessary for the preparation of the exam, will be available in the e-learning site. The critical commentary of the theatrical or cinematographic adaptations analysed during the lectures will be part of the examination. A specific bibliography will be provided for ERASMUS students.
N.B.: A cycle of lessons will be activated for the specific study of the manual.
Visualizza la bibliografia con Leganto, strumento che il Sistema Bibliotecario mette a disposizione per recuperare i testi in programma d'esame in modo semplice e innovativo.
Oral exam with final evaluation. The questions proposed to the candidates will, on the one hand, test their knowledge of the History of theatre with exemplifications offered by one of the dramas of the list; on the other hand, they will test the ability to analyze theoretical concepts and performances following the models showed during the lessons.