Theories and techniques of the primary socialization [Cognomi M-Z]
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
SPS/08 - SOCIOLOGY OF CULTURE AND COMMUNICATION
Sem. IA dal Sep 25, 2017 al Nov 11, 2017.
The course aims to bring students to reflect sociologically on the concepts of socialization, primary socialization and identity in order to improve their work as educators in a transforming world. Through the knowledge of the main approaches, we want to provide the conceptual tools needed to know the processes that lead to the construction of social identity (and difference); the identification of agencies (with particular regard to the family, the area where basic social skills are formed) and the understanding of socialization techniques. Subsequently, we intend to analyze the relationship between socialization, identity and difference, deepening the concept of stigma and social inferiorization as presented by Erving Goffman. This is to provide students with a kind of "toolbox" to face today's complexity, reflecting on their professional work, widening their point of view, developing their own judgment, communication and relationship skills with the Other .
The course starts with some general themes.
• "Liquid" modernity and the effects on society and individual
• The socio-cultural system and the learning of roles
• Socialization: from the contribution of classics to the current prospects of studies
• The aspects of socialization
• Socialization and identity
• Socialization's agencies with particular reference to family as a primary socialization area
• Socialization and non-family areas: nursery, peers and media
• How to socialize: relationship and communication
Then, it will be necessary to deepen the relationship between socialization, identity and difference through the following themes:
• Identity and Difference
• Stigmatization and social inferiorization
• Types of stigma
• Stigma and social relations.
The didactic methods adopted include:
- frontal lessons devoted to the transmission of basic notions and key categories useful for the implementation of theoretical knowledge;
- interactive lessons, through video analysis and sample material, common discussion, group work and exercises, and wherever possible, the participation of privileged witnesses in order to improve the skills of learning, applied understanding, work in team, relationship and communication.
Throughout the academic year, the teacher is available for individual appointment.
The monthly reception schedule is published on the web under the "Alerts" entry.
The program is valid for all attending and non-attending students; it is valid until February 2019.
Reference texts for the assessment:
- Landuzzi M. G., La socializzazione primaria e le sue caratteristiche, Ed. Libreria Cortina, Verona, 2016
- Goffman E., Stigma. L'identità negata, Ombre Corte, Verona, 2003
The assessment of the learning outcomes is the same for all (attending and not) and involves a written test and an oral test; the final evaluation is expressed in 30 / thirty-five.
- The written test consists of a multiple-choice test. It seeks to assess the ability to learn and the degree of knowledge of the topics under discussion (value up to 20/30)
- The oral test consists of an in-depth study of program's parts (value up to max. 10/30). It wants to verify:
- communicative abilities and language ownership
- the ability to connect systematically knowledge
- analytical capacity and comparison between different points of view.
Erasmus students are requested to contact the teacher at the beginning of the course.