Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
SECS-P/01 - ECONOMICS
primo semestre (lauree) dal Sep 20, 2021 al Jan 14, 2022.
The main purpose of the module in Industrial Economics is the economic analysis of firms behaviour and decisions, and in particular their interaction with competitors, suppliers, customers, consumers, the regulator, as it might be inspired by case studies. The main objective is to train students for a critical reading of these economic phenomena and of the relevant economic sectoral policies. In particular, the module will analyze in details topics such as price discrimination, product differentiation and innovation, strategic interaction with suppliers and distributors, the use of online platforms, focusing on how these may affect the competitive environment and firms’ business models of choice. At the end of the module, students will be able to understand and critically analyze industrial plans derived from business models developed according to different competitive environments. The module may also rely on group work activities, so to develop students’ soft skills. All classes and tutorials will be in Italian.
The course program includes the following topics:
- Basic concepts: the basics of microeconomics, market structure and market power, technology and production costs.
- The monopoly power in theory and practice: price discrimination and monopoly; linear and nonlinear prices; variety and product quality in monopoly.
- Oligopoly and strategic interactions: Static Games and Cournot competition; price competition (Bertrand); dynamic games; first and second mover advantage.
- Anticompetitive strategies: limit-pricing and entry deterrence; price-fixing and repeated games; collusion: how to identify and defeat it.
- Contractual relations between firms: horizontal mergers, vertical restraints.
- Non-pricing competition: advertising, market power, competition and information; research & development; patents.
- Networks: network issues.
During the course there will be interventions by business leaders. The common theme of the business talks for the 2021-22 academic year will be 'Sustainability and business models'.
Visualizza la bibliografia con Leganto, strumento che il Sistema Bibliotecario mette a disposizione per recuperare i testi in programma d'esame in modo semplice e innovativo.
Consistently with the course content, the final exam includes a written examination in which the student is asked a) to solve analytically some exercises, b) to answer to multiple choice questions on the theory, and c) to answer a question related to economic news, that is to critically comment current events related to the economic topics of the course.
Finally, students are required to prepare a case study on the business model of a firm of their choice, developing an essay of about 1,000 words which must be submitted on the day of the examination. Case studies can be carried out in groups ranging from 2 to 4 students. By the end of October, each group is required to communicate to me via email the names of the students that are part of the group. Each student must be part of one and only one group.
ALL these activities will be in ITALIAN.
DURATION of BONUS
All bonuses are valid throughout the academic year 2021-22, that is until the Fall 2022 session included.