Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
SECS-S/06 - MATHEMATICAL METHODS OF ECONOMICS, FINANCE AND ACTUARIAL SCIENCES
The teaching is organized as follows:
The aim of the course is to give the fundamental mathematical knowledge, necessary to the following courses in Statistics and Economics.
The course provides the classical arguments from Mathematical Analysis and Linear Algebra.
Beside the general mathematical theory the exercise lectures are intended to complete the theoretical knowledge with the adequate calculus ability.
1. Basic mathematical notions
2. One variable functions
4. Differential calculus
5. Integration theory
6. Numerical series
7. Vector spaces, transformations and matrices
8. Systems of linear equations
9. Several variables functions
The detailed program and further educational material are available in the course web page.
The course consists of 48 hour lectures (equivalent to 6 credits) and 36 hour exercise lectures (equivalent to 3 credits).
||Dispense del Corso di Matematica
||(disponibili in rete nella pagina del corso)
In order to pass the exam students are asked to pass first an open answer test. A second written exam is then proposed, with 3 exercises and 5 theoretical questions. A final oral exam is required only in case of a non full sufficiency.
Students have the possibility, after a half of the course, to pass a partial written exam, that will count for the final passing.
This intermediate test has the same structure as the ordinary written exam.
- It is discretionary and it does not prevent the student from refusing the result and taking the full exam.
- The student that passes the intermediate test may complete the exam by passing a similar final written test. The final score will be the mean of the two. An oral exam may be required again in case of a non full sufficiency.
- The subjects of the intermediate test will be specified in advance in the course web page. These subjects will be kept out the final test.
- Students that pass the intemediate test may take the final test within the winter session.
The intermedate test is scheduled with the intent that students tackle from the beginning the subject matter in a regular and systematic way. So they can get the advantage of passing one half of the exam. The intermediate test, in case of a failure, may also be useful to give important hints on what went wrong.
Further details may be found on the course web page.