Principles of economics
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
SECS-P/01 - ECONOMICS
2° periodo lezioni (2A) dal Feb 14, 2022 al Mar 26, 2022.
This course has the objective to provide students with: - the ability to analyze and understand the basic mechanisms of market functioning (micro perspec-tive) and the economic system of a country as a whole (macro perspective); - the ability to address, in written and oral forms, from a micro perspective, issues related to the func-tioning of competition and public policies aimed at restoring market efficiency and improving the well-being of individuals, and, from a macro perspective, issues related to fiscal and monetary policies, identifying practical solutions, through reasoning and argumentation, with the acquisition of an appro-priate and specific vocabulary, the ability to formulate independent judgments on concrete cases, and a method that allows ongoing learning and updating of knowledge.
Economics is about the optimal allocation of scares resources. We study allocations with both a “micro” approach, which is focused on the way market are functioning, as well as a “macro” approach, where the interest lies on the determinants of economically relevant aggregates such as inflation, GDP, unemployment.
1. Economics and economic policy
2. Credibility revolution in economics
3. Demand, supply and markets
4. Labour market*
5. Consumer and producer choice*
6. Market, efficiency and social welfare.
7. Economic policy and equity
8. Public goods*
9. Market failure
10. Asymmetric information
11. § Firms and innovation*
12. § Economics, political economy and social choice
15. § Inequality
16. Real economy
17. Financial markets
18. The IS-LM model
19. Gains from trade*
20. Open economy*
21. § Globalization*
22. Inflation and unemployent*
23. Fiscal and monetary policy
24. The European monetary and economic Union
Items indexed with “*” are specific to the 9 cfu program. The other arguments are common to the 6 cfu and the 9 cfu programs. Students following the 6 cfu program are free (and encouraged) to attend all classes. In all cases, only arguments related to their program will be object of evaluation during official exam seats.
Exercises will be covered during classes.
The course material (slides, exercises) is available on the Moodle platform.
The suggested readings are available as ebooks on the web (the ebook for the CORE Project can be freely accessed on https://www.core-econ.org/the-economy/?lang=en). Arguments denoted with “§” are only available in the English version of the CORE Project book. More details about the programs and the book chapters covered in class will be provided in Moodle.
MODALITÀ DI EROGAZIONE DELLA DIDATTICA
Le lezioni, nel rispetto delle linee guida di Ateneo, saranno tenute in presenza e fruibili da parte delle/degli studentesse/studenti anche da remoto, in dire6tta streaming tramite link zoom. La registrazione di ciascuna lezione sarà inoltre pubblicata sulla pagina moodle dell'insegnamento.
Visualizza la bibliografia con Leganto, strumento che il Sistema Bibliotecario mette a disposizione per recuperare i testi in programma d'esame in modo semplice e innovativo.
- Exam objectives: test the knowledge of the topics in the program and the ability to apply the concepts to the various problems proposed.
- Exam content: potentially all the topics in the program presented at the beginning of the course.
- Assessment methods: exclusively written with open questions and/or multiple choices, including exercises.
- Assessment methods: the final evaluation is expressed in 30/30.
- The exam procedure is the same for all students.