Elements of European union law
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
IUS/14 - EUROPEAN UNION LAW
2° periodo di lezioni - aprile/maggio 2021, 2° periodo di lezioni - febbraio/marzo 2021
The course aims at providing Students with: - the basic knowledge of the legal system of the European Union by means of the analysis of the most relevant legal provisions, in particular the EU Treaties, as amended by the Lisbon Treaty entered into force on 1st December 2009, and the main case law of the European Court of Justice; - the ability to develop a method that allows to approach both orally and in writing the legal im-plications related to the most relevant aspects of EU law, by means of an adequate legal jar-gon.
The course will cover the following topics:
- the history of the European integration;
- the legal system of the European Union: the competences, the institutional framework, the legal sources, the acts of the EU and the deliberative procedures, the relationship between the EU law and the domestic legal systems, even with regard to the regional dimension;
- the jurisdictional function and the fundamental rights in the EU legal systems;
- the EU external action. State liability for the violation of EU law.
Classes are taught in Italian.
As for attending students, the teaching will comprise both lectures focused on the study of the basic notions and legal sources regarding European Union law and practical lectures during which the relevant case law will be discussed.
During the lessons the professor will avail herself of powerpoint presentations.
The teaching materials used during the course, to be added to the reference book, will be provided to the students through the University e-learning platform.
As for non-attending students, the teaching methods will consist in the study of the proposed textbook (also taking into account the more recent legislative updates), to which the teacher can offer its support.
For Italian Students:
- U. Draetta, F. Bestagno, A. Santini, Elementi di Diritto dell'Unione europea. Parte istituzionale e struttura dell'Unione europea, sesta edizione, Giuffrè Francis Lefebvre, 2018;
- A.L. Valvo, Istituzioni di Diritto dell'Unione europea, Giappichelli, 2019.
- texts of the Treaty of the European Union and the Treaty of the Functioning of the European Union.
Erasmus students may choose to take the exam:
- orally in Italian, studying on the same textbook and according to the same course syllabus as Italian students;
- orally in English, studying on the following textbook: . SCHUTZE, An Introduction to European Law, Oxford University Press, 3rd ed., 2020.
||An Introduction to European Law
||Oxford University Press
||For Erasmus Students
|U. Draetta, F. Bestagno, A. Santini
||Elementi di Diritto dell'Unione europea. Parte istituzionale. Ordinamento e struttura dell'Unione europea.
||Giuffrè Francis Lefebvre
||Istituzioni di Diritto dell'Unione europea
The oral test is required for both Italian and Erasmus students, and covers the whole course’s programme.
The exam is aimed at ascertaining, besides the required preparation, that the student has developed sufficient analytical capacity. In particular, the examination is aimed at assessing:
- the level of the preparation of the Student;
- the use of the appropriate legal jargon;
- the ability of connecting the different topics of the programme;
- the analytical capacity.