Theories and methods of inclusive education
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
M-PED/03 - METHODOLOGIES OF TEACHING AND SPECIAL EDUCATION
Sem. 2A dal Feb 18, 2019 al Mar 30, 2019.
Inclusive Education is a new direction of theoretical and practical research more and more established at an international and national level. Nowadays, in the educational and social contexts, the deeply felt problem is how to
turn our attention to the presence of those who have special needs in non-excluding forms, in particular when such needs are referred to the conditions of disabled people. Getting involved on inclusion means to change our approach towards the educational systems preparing them fit for answering to the different typologies of special needs that now characterize the normality of educational contexts. The ever-growing attention to universal rights and to the fulfilment of the ambition of any people, even if they are disabled, forces the specialist and the professional staff to carry out their researches according to an inclusive logic considering both school contexts and working conditions.
What is necessary to get through because of its negative value, it is the way of proceeding on the basis of which the bearers of special needs must be treated according to emergency and extraordinary logics.
Researchers and teachers must study a series of ordinary interventions and devise plans in order to grow the specialty to such an extent to become inclusive. Only in such a way the differences cannot be seen as interferences, but chances of improving the quality of educational systems.
The student who attends the course of Theories and methods of Inclusive Education will learn the main concepts of Inclusive Education and will be aware of the theoretical and methodological novelty of this branch of Pedagogy and will be informed of the educational and social practice.
At the end of the course, students will have improved the following knowledge and skills.
1. To know the fundamental core of the international documents on inclusive education and at the same time the concrete problems and the resources of the inclusive educational action in the scholastic, work and social context.
2. To know the theoretical and methodological references of the inclusive approach in education.
3. To distinguish between the different meanings and the different modalities of the inclusive educational action in relation to the contexts and characteristics of the subjects, with particular attention to the inclusive processes concerning people with disabilities.
4. Being able to analyze the quality of the inclusion of a scholastic and extracurricular context, using methodologies and tools suitable for the purpose such as, for example, the Index for inclusion.
5. Knowing how to analyze and evaluate the inclusive attitude of a context in relation to the particular needs of young people and adults with special needs, with the aim of developing pedagogical projects suitable to pursue the highest possible levels of inclusion, work and / or social.
6. To learn about the ways in which it is possible to plan an educational intervention, of an inclusive nature, starting from the ability to find relevant and effective sources through the consultation of the relevant scientific literature.
The inclusive theoretical and methodological paradigm.
The outcomes of the latest researches in Special Education in an inclusive prospect
The passage from the school integration of the students with a certified handicap to the
model of Inclusive Education
Special education needs and inclusive prospect
The ICF logic (OMS, 2001) in the prevention of disabilities from the analysis of functioning to the inclusive actions.
Within the course, different types of didactic methods will be activated:
- Frontal lesson;
- Reading and comment of excerpts;
- Case studies;
- Vision of short movies;
- Experiences from the professional context.
Agenzia Europea per i Bisogni Educativi Speciali e l’Istruzione Inclusiva, Cinque messaggi chiave per l’educazione inclusiva. Dalla Teoria alla Prassi, Odense, Danimarca 2014
Marisa Pavone, L’inclusione educativa. Indicazioni pedagogiche per la disabilità, Mondadori Università, Milano 2014.
Lascioli Angelo, Verso l’Inclusive education, Edizioni del Rosone, Foggia 2014.
Pasqualotto Luciano, La valutazione multidimensionale e il progetto personalizzato. Prospettive e strumenti per educatori e operatori dei Servizi per la Disabilità Adulta, Erickson, Trento, 2014.
Other study material (slides, videos and scientific articles) will be uploaded through the e-learning platform.
The assessment for learning will take place through a written examination paper that will consist of presenting a series of closed questions and open questions concerning the topics discussed during the course.
The following assessment criteria will be considered:
- Including the relevant elements that are the basis of the main theories and the main documents relating to inclusion;
- Including the elements that characterize inclusive didactic action;
- Being able to expose their arguments strictly and in a limited time by identifying and selecting the essential elements for exposure;
- Being able to analyse critically the case studies and the experiences presented.