Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
FIS/01 - EXPERIMENTAL PHYSICS
II sem. dal Mar 2, 2015 al Jun 12, 2015.
The aims of the course are : the acquisition of a basic knowledge of electromagnetism and optics, the achievement of a good level of understanding of the physical principles and phenomena illustrated during the course, the familiarization with the mathematical formalism used to describe these phenomena.
1) Electric charges, Coulomb law, electrostatic field, electrostatic potential, Stokes theorem, electric dipole
2) Gauss theorem, Poisson equation, Laplace equation, conductors in equilibrium, capacitance, dielectrics, polarization
3) Electromotive force generators, battery, electric current, classic model of conduction (Drude), Ohm law, resistance, Kirchoff laws, elementary circuits
4) Magnetic field, Lorentz force, magnetic properties of matter
5) Ampere law, RLC circuit, electric oscillations, alternating currents
6) Electromagnetic induction, Faraday law, Maxwell equations
7) Fundamental principles of oscillatory phenomena, phase velocity and group velocity
8) Electromagnetic waves, electromagnetic spectrum, Doppler effect
9) Principles of optics, reflection, refraction, geometrical optics, dispersion of light, Fermat principle, optical instruments
10) Polarization of light, birefringence
11) Interference, Young experiment, Fizeau interferometer
12) Diffraction, diffraction grating
Written; students that have passed the written examination can benefit, if they wish, of an oral examination in order to complement the test.