Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
INF/01 - INFORMATICS
Sem. IA dal Sep 25, 2017 al Nov 11, 2017.
The main objective of the course is to provide students with updated information on applications of information technology and multimedia in the contemporary society, with a specific focus on education and teaching, according to the evolution of the Instructional Design techniques, to the development of e-learning, to the use of IWB (interactive whiteboard) and of m-learning (mobile learning). Therefore, at the end of the course students will be able to list and describe the information and multimedia technologies to support teaching, through the adoption of a scientific terminology and the reference to examples, case studies and best practices (national and international).
In particular, students will be able to:
- define the fundamental concepts of computer science;
- describe the application of information technology in contemporary society;
- explain the basic concepts and tools of multimedia;
- list the applications of multimedia communication and entertainment;
- describe principles of Multimedia Learning (Mayer) and the characteristics of a concept map;
- describe the characteristics of the new devices for e-learning and mobile-learning.
- describe the different digital content for e-learning;
- list the international standards of e-learning;
- explain the main functions of a LMS (Learning Management System);
- list the international e-learning standards.
PART ONE: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY AND MULTIMEDIA
M1. Main concepts of computer science. Hardware and software
- Unit 1. The information technology in Matrix Era
- Unit 2. The Unbearable Lightness of integrated circuits
- Unit 3. What is not hardware is software
M2. Applications of information technology in contemporary society: Office Automation, Internet, Web social network, management software, e-government, industrial automation, Artificial Intelligence and Neural Networks
- Unit 4. The new digital office
- Unit 5. Internet = Web?
- Unit 6. Web 2.½
- Unit 7. I've seen things you people ...
M3. Introduction to multimedia technology and to digital file formats (text, images, audio and video)
- Unit 8. New York, New York
M4. Multimedia applications: creation of presentations, online entertainment and augmented reality
- Unit 9. The art of presentation
- Unit 10. Homo Ludens
PART TWO: INFORMATION AND MULTIMEDIA TECHNOLOGY FOR EDUCATION AND TRAINING
M5. Information technology and instructional design: Instructional Design, Multimedia Learning, concept maps and ontologies
- Unit 11. Multimedia Learning
- Unit 12. Frames of knowledge
M6. Hardware devices for e-learning and m-learning
- Unit 13. Tools to learn
M7. Learning objects, learning and assessment software simulations and e-learning
- Unit 14. Learning Objects and surroundings
- Unit 15. The new alliance
M8. LMS platforms and "social" environments for collaborative learning
- Unit 16. Virtual Agora
- Unit 17. Cl@ssmates
|Gaetano Bruno Ronsivalle, Simona Carta, Marisa Orlando
||.GET Guida all’Education Technology Informatica e multimedialità per educatori, docenti e professionisti della formazione
|Daniele Angeloni, Paolo Cardini, Gaetano Bruno Ronsivalle
||Il Coding nella Scuola primaria. Guida pratica per l’insegnamento del Coding con Code.org, Scratch e Minecraft
|John E. Kelly III, Steve Hamm
||Macchine intelligenti: Watson e l'era del cognitive computing
|Illah Reza Nourbakhsh
||Robot fra noi. Le creature intelligenti che stiamo per costruire
STRUCTURE OF EXAM
The exam consists of two steps:
STEP 1 ---------------------------
Written exam (mandatory) to evaluate the knowledge acquired by students in the classroom and / or through individual learning. In particular, a questionnaire will be administered in a computer room through the LMS of the University: https://elearning.univr.it/j/index.php.
The questionnaire will be composed of items (questions) of different types. The questions will be related to the objectives of the basic educational program.
Coursebook - G.B. Ronsivalle, S. Carta, M. Orlando, .GET Guida all’Education Technology. Informatica e multimedialità per educatori e professionisti della formazione. Maggioli Editore, 2013. ISBN: 8838777905
STEP 2 ---------------------------
Oral exam (optional). Students can choose one of the following tests:
--- 2.A Oral interview for the assessment of the knowledge acquired by students through the reading and study of one of the following texts:
- D. Angeloni, P. Cardini, G. B. Ronsivalle, Il Coding nella Scuola primaria. Guida pratica per l’insegnamento del Coding con Code.org, Scratch e Minecraft, Docendum & WeMole, 2016.
- J. E. Kelly III, S. Hamm, Macchine intelligenti: Watson e l'era del cognitive computing, Egea, 2016.
- I. R. Nourbakhsh, Robot fra noi. Le creature intelligenti che stiamo per costruire, Bollati Boringhieri, 2014.
--- 2.B. Creation and discussion of a multimedia presentation. In particular, the student will be able to produce a multimedia presentation for teaching on a topic agreed with the teacher, by applying the principles of Multimedia Learning and Presentation Design techniques. For this purpose the teacher will do some lessons in a computer room for the acquisition of digital skills for editing texts/images/audio/video and creating multimedia presentations.
CRITERIA FOR THE FINAL EVALUATION The threshold of the written test (Step 1) is equal to 60% (18/30). This test is mandatory. Students who fail the test must repeat the entire exam in one of the following sessions.
The oral test (Step 2) is optional. To access the oral test you must pass the written test (Step 1). Students who pass the written questionnaire can choose one of the following options:
A. request the verbalization of the vote;
B. access to the oral test (Step 2), in order to improve their final score and get the “laude”. The oral test (Step 2) can not determine any reduction of the score of the written test. The oral exam can be achieved with a maximum of 6 points out of 30. These points will be added to the points already obtained in the written test (Step 1). If the end result greater than 30/30, the excess points will be converted to "laude".