Sport sociology [Matricole pari]
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
SPS/07 - GENERAL SOCIOLOGY
Language of instruction
2° semestre dal Mar 1, 2022 al May 27, 2022.
Starting from a general overview of some of the main approaches and concepts used in sociology to understand the features and functions of society, the course will allow students to identify the social dimension of sport and physical activity by considering them both from internal and external observation points, namely as specific social phenomena and elements of society that are always related to other elements. Specific attention will be paid to the relationship between health and physical activity. This relationship, from the point of view of the sociology of health, recalls essential questions also in the sport sciences: individual wellness/wellness, body care, prevention of pathologies typical of post-modernity.
At the end of the course, the student must:
- know the basic concepts of sociology applied to sports science and the concept of health, from the sociological point of view;
- be able to identify the social dimension of phenomena related to sport and physical activity and, in particular, analyse the relatioship among physical activity/body/health;
- know how to assess the impact and social importance of phisical activity;
- be able to use the concepts studied in an appropriate manner both in general terms and with special regard to physical activity.
To achieve the educational objectives of the teaching, the following program will be followed:
Introduction to the sociology of sport and physical activity: the origins of sport; from civilization processes to modern sport.
The main sociological theories used to explain and understand phenomena in the field of sport and physical activity.
Sport and sociology: culture, social inequalities, social control.
Digital society, quantification of the self related to physical motor activity and sport.
The body in sports and physical motor activities according to a sociological reading: narcissus body, sports body and flow body.
The sociology of health: individual well-being / wellness / fitness, care of the body, of the self and of relationships.
The concepts of health and their relationship with sport and physical activity.
Deviant uses of sport according to a sociological reading: explanatory theories, health / disease, use of the body.
Visualizza la bibliografia con Leganto, strumento che il Sistema Bibliotecario mette a disposizione per recuperare i testi in programma d'esame in modo semplice e innovativo.
The exam is aimed at ascertaining the skills acquired by the students. The contents of the teaching program are subject to assessment. The exam consists, for all students, of a written test with open-ended questions, potentially concerning all the contents of the program. The mark obtained with the test is expressed out of thirty.
The verification concerns:
- understanding of the main concepts addressed in the course;
- clarity of presentation;
- the ability to critically discuss and analyze the proposed topics.