Introduction to operating systems and networks - ELEMENTI DI SISTEMI OPERATIVI (2021/2022)
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
ING-INF/05 - INFORMATION PROCESSING SYSTEMS
The teaching is organized as follows:
The aim of the course is to provide the theory and practice at the basis of the organization of a computer system and of the operating systems running on it, with the related issues of correctness and efficiency. The course provides the basics for the design, implementation, development, management and maintenance of hardware and software systems in biotechnological laboratories. At the end of the course, the students will be able to write system procedures for the UNIX environment; manage an information system, especially for what the installation and maintenance of applications and system resources is concerned.
- Operating system architectures
- Starting the operating system
- Organization of mass storage
- File system
- Process scheduling
- Programming using the UNIX shell
- Programming using UNIX system calls
To pass the exam, the student must show:
- they have understood the principles related to operating systems
- they are able to describe the concepts in a clear and exhaustive way without digressions
- they are able to apply the acquired knowledge to solve application scenarios described by means of exercises, questions and projects.
The final exam consists of:
- for the Theory, a written test containing questions and exercises
- for the Laboratory, a written test covering programming skills acquired during the course or, alternatively, some projects to be completed during the course.