German literature and culture 1 [Cognomi A-L]
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
L-LIN/13 - GERMAN LITERATURE
II semestre dal Feb 23, 2015 al May 30, 2015.
The course aims at introducing the students to the most important periods and trends of German 19th Century literature: Impressionism, Expressionism, exile literature, German literature after reunification. .
At the end of the course students are required to possess a deep knowledge of the topics we dealt with, with regard to both the literature-historic aspects as well as the works in German; moreover they are required to be capable of analyzing and understanding these texts.
The German literature of South Tyrol
There is a German literature written in Italy, that is the German literature of South Tyrol. During the last year several authors of South Tyrol , such as N.C.Kaser, Franz Tumler, Jospeph Zoderer, Oswald Egger and Roberta Dapunt, obtained important recognition in the German-speaking countries. The course will focus on the German literature written in South Tyrol during the 20th Century.
The history of South Tyrol
The literary history of South Tyrol
• Impressionism: Stefan George (Komm in den totgesagten Park)
• Expressionism: Jakob van Hoddis (Weltende), Gottfried Benn (Kleine Aster, Schöne Jugend)
• Exile literature: Klaus Mann, Thomas Mann (Die Budenbrooks, Tonio Kröger, Der Tod in Venedig + film), Anna Seghers Das siebte Kreuz (novel and comics)
• Shoah and literature: Stanley Milgram (Obbedienza all’autorità), Art Spiegelman (Maus)
• Luchino Visconti, La morte a Venezia
N.C. Kaser, Stadtstiche (Meran, Bozen, Trento)
Joseph Zoderer, Die Walsche (edizione in lingua originale)
Claudio Magris, Antholz (in: Microcosmi 1999, pp. 189-229)
Part of the texts will be handed out as photocopies. Further teaching material will be available on the e-learning platform related to the class.
Non-attending students are requested to agree with the docent upon part of the literature-history programme and to focus the second part of the programme on the study of works representative of the 19th Century literature.
Texts for non-attending students*:
• Introduzione a Stanley Milgram, Obbedienza all’autorità di Adriano Zamperini, pp. IX-XLV.
• Da Rappresentare la Shoah a cura di Alessandro Costazza il saggio di Marco Castellari, Documento e allegoria, 203-221.
• Massimo Salgaro, Il fumetto di La settima croce di Anna Seghers e la fine dell’esilio del fumetto in Tristia. Scritture dall’esilio a cura di Anna Maria Babbi, Verona 2013.
• Bernhard Arnold Kruse, Wider den Nationalismus – oder von den Schwierigkeiten eines interkulturellen Lebens, 2012, pp. 186-248.
The final exam will be oral and held in Italian. The oral exam will be on the whole program and it will consist in a conversation aimed at testing:
- the depth and the wideness of the acquired knowledges
- the ability to analyze and understand the literary texts in the program
- the argumentative ability and the ability to link knowledges in a historical-cultural and critical-literary reflection
The final mark will be in 30ths.