Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
FIS/01 - EXPERIMENTAL PHYSICS
II semestre dal Mar 1, 2016 al Jun 10, 2016.
The course provides the basic knowledge of Electromagnetism and Optics in Classical Physics aimed at achieving a good level of understanding of the physical principles and phenomena illustrated during the course, making the student familiar with the mathematical formalism used to model these phenomena, providing methodologies for solving an applied problem in the field.
- Electric charges, Coulomb law, electrostatic field, electrostatic potential, Stokes theorem, electric dipole
- Gauss theorem, Poisson equation, Laplace equation, conductors in equilibrium, capacitance, dielectrics, polarization
- Electric current, classic model of conduction), Ohm law, resistance, Kirchoff laws, elementary circuits
- Magnetic field, Lorentz force, magnetic properties of matter
- Ampere law, RLC circuit, electric oscillations, alternating currents
- Electromagnetic induction, Faraday law, Maxwell equations
- Fundamental principles of oscillatory phenomena, phase velocity and group velocity
- Electromagnetic waves, electromagnetic spectrum, Doppler effect
- Principles of optics, reflection, refraction, geometrical optics, dispersion of light, Fermat principle, optical instruments
- Polarization of light, birefringence
- Interference, Young experiment, Fizeau interferometer
- Diffraction, diffraction grating
* SUGGESTED TEXTBOOKS *
P. Mazzoldi, M. Nigro, C. Voci
Elementi di Fisica Vol. 2 - Elettromagnetismo e Onde
ediSES, II ed./2008
Alessandro Bettini, Elettromagnetismo Zanichelli, 2010
Written. students that have passed the written examination can benefit, if they wish, of an oral examination in order to complement the test.