Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
SECS-S/06 - MATHEMATICAL METHODS OF ECONOMICS, FINANCE AND ACTUARIAL SCIENCES
Primo semestre (lauree) dal Sep 19, 2022 al Jan 13, 2023.
The course has a dual purpose: first of all, to provide students with a rigorous scientific language based on a logical-mathematical deductive reasoning; in addition, the course aims to provide students with some analytical tools and basic mathematical models to deal with business-economical problems. The course yields the classical arguments from Mathematical Analysis and Linear Algebra. At the end of the lessons, the student will have to demonstrate that he has acquired the ability to critically review the mathematical concepts encountered in the course and to apply methods, tools and mathematical models.
Prerequisites and basic notions
The teaching prerequisites are:
1. Elements of logic;
2. elementary operations;
3. literal calculation;
5. equations and inequalities;
6. elements of analytical geometry.
1. Basic mathematical notions
2. One variable functions
4. Differential calculus
5. Integration theory
6. Numerical series
7. Vector spaces, transformations and matrices
8. Systems of linear equations
9. Several variables functions
The detailed program and further educational material are available in the course web page.
Visualizza la bibliografia con Leganto, strumento che il Sistema Bibliotecario mette a disposizione per recuperare i testi in programma d'esame in modo semplice e innovativo.
The course includes 84 hours of lessons and exercises for a total of 9 ECTS.
Learning assessment procedures
The methods of ascertaining the exams aim at favoring the acquisition of reasoning and communication skills such as to ensure the ability to validly follow a master's degree course or to enter work contexts.
The exam includes:
1. Completion of multiple choice closed exercises available on the e-learnig page of the course. For those who will perform at least 75% of the exercises and who will obtain an average score of at least 75%, a bonus of 2 points will be awarded to be added to the score obtained in the test referred to in point 2; Carrying out of exercises given by the teacher during the course of various types (homeworks). Those who deliver all the exercises and obtain a positive score will be awarded a bonus of 1 point to be added to the score obtained in the test referred to in point 2;
2. Closed multiple choice written test. In particular, the multiple-choice questions are aimed at verifying the basic knowledge, above all practical, of the mathematical logic aspects presented during the lessons.
3. Compulsory oral test, which can be accessed if you pass the test in point 2, structured as follows: a. exercise (s) b. theoretical knowledge. An intermediate assessment test is foreseen (approximately in the middle of the semester). This test concerns the preliminary test (point 2) and focuses on the topics of the program dealt with up to that moment. The intermediate test is optional and is valid only for the winter exam session. Only those who have completed and passed the exercises on the e-learning site of the course and those given by the teacher up to that moment will be able to participate in the mid-term test.
The mid-term test is introduced to stimulate the student to systematically and diligently study the subject as the various topics are addressed and therefore to improve the learning process.
The evaluation of the oral exam is based on the following criteria:
- depth and breadth of knowledge acquired;
- language skills;
- ability to connect knowledge in a systemic form.
Criteria for the composition of the final grade
Test mark, possible bonuses, oral exam mark.