Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
SECS-P/12 - ECONOMIC HISTORY
Primo semestre (lauree) dal Sep 19, 2022 al Jan 13, 2023.
The course intends to provide the fundamental elements required for an understanding of the international economic relationships which developed in the Modern and Contemporary Age. After an outline of the historical conditions and the motives underlying the expansion of Europe, the course investigates forms of organisation of production, trade and circulation of the characteristic goods from the different areas (Europe, America, Asia, Africa) in the 15th-20th centuries with particular emphasis on the problem of the structure of interregional and intercontinental trade routes. The course aims to provide a general knowledge of structural and institutional evolution of European economy since the early modern age to the present. Students must demonstrate that they have understood the structures of Economic history, that they are able to correctly place problems and events, and that they know the most relevant themes of the economic debate.
Prerequisites and basic notions
No prior knowledge is required. Consultation of a High School History manual is recommended
- Agriculture in pre-industrial age.
- Industry and Production from 16th to 18th centuries
- European expansion: Historical conditions and economic reasons.
- Merchants and trade from 16th to 18th centuries: goods, traffic routes, financial and commercial organization.
- Business tools used by business people in pre-industrial age.
- The features of production and commerce in the nineteenth century.
- International trade and European domination (1875-1914).
- The international trade at the end of liberal capitalism.
- The new layout of international economy (1939-1953): Bretton Woods system and its transformation.
- Industry, Production and Commerce in the second half of the twentieth century
- The evolution of the means of transport and the modes of communication.
- The evolution of sales networks.
- The globalization: industry, finance, trade.
Teaching materials will be available online at the elearning course section.
Visualizza la bibliografia con Leganto, strumento che il Sistema Bibliotecario mette a disposizione per recuperare i testi in programma d'esame in modo semplice e innovativo.
Lectures and possible in-depth seminars
Learning assessment procedures
The final exam will be an interview aiming at testing the students' overall knowledge by means of oral questions related to the required readings.
Oral exam Marks out of thirty The evaluation will examine in particular the following skills: - depth and extension of the notions learned; - language properties in the exposition of concepts and notions; - ability to adequately link the various acquired knowledge; - ability to critically relate the events of the past with what is happening in the contemporary world.