Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
L-FIL-LET/12 - ITALIAN LINGUISTICS
2 B dal Apr 12, 2023 al May 27, 2023.
The course aims to offer a knowledge of formal structures of Italian literature, with particular attention to poetic metric, and to encourage the ability to autonomously analyze texts. Specific targets: 1) provide a methodical approach to the metric system of Italian, in its different components; 2) conduct a detailed analysis of one metric genre, which shows the relations with the other elements of style as a system (language, argumentative processes, discursive setting). By the end of the course, students should be able to apply the acquired knowledge, and to autonomously carry out an analysis of the formal features of an Italian poetic text, as an essential element for its general interpretation.
Prerequisites and basic notions
Knowledge of the history of the Italian language from its origins to modernity. General skills related to Italian linguistics and Italian literature.
The course is divided into two main thematic areas:
1) description of the Italian metric system (24 hours):
• Metrics and rhythm.
• Metric genres.
2) The metric genres for music of ancient Italian poetry: ballata, madrigale, caccia (12 hours), with particular attention to the following points:
• Genesis and antecedents of the metric genres for music.
• Metric schemes, syntax and argumentation.
• History of metric genres for music from the 12th to the 16th century.
Visualizza la bibliografia con Leganto, strumento che il Sistema Bibliotecario mette a disposizione per recuperare i testi in programma d'esame in modo semplice e innovativo.
The teaching methods consist of lectures dedicated to the two thematic areas of the course. For both, constant attention will be paid to the formal interpretation of the texts. In the class, the active intervention of students will be encouraged, giving them the opportunity to verify the knowledge acquired through metric analysis tests.
With regard to non-attending students, the teaching methods consist of a teacher's support for an updated study. Any further updates will be made available to the student through the e-learning platform.
At the end of the course, the teacher will publish the analytical list of all the topics that will be examined on the e-learning platform.
Learning assessment procedures
For all students, attending and non-attending, the assessment of learning outcomes includes an oral test.
The test covers all the topics of the program and is divided into two parts, relating to the two thematic areas included in the program:
• assessment of the ability to recognize a metric form and to analyze it in its internal components, in particular in its rhymic-syllabic scheme and in the rhythmic treatment of one of his lines.
• verification of the knowledge acquired about the genres for music of ancient Italian poetry, and in particular of the ability to historically place their achievements and to analyze some exemplary cases.
For Erasmus students, the teacher will clarify the contents and methods of the test in class.
Objectives of the assessment test:
• to verify the analytical knowledge of the program topics.
• to verify the ability to reflect and elaborate in relation to some problematic points.
• to verify the operational skills acquired in the formal analysis of poetic texts.
Criteria for the composition of the final grade
For each of the two parts of the test, a maximum of 15 out of thirty is awarded.
The sum of the scores of the two evaluations will form the final mark, expressed out of thirty.