Russian literature 1
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
L-LIN/21 - SLAVIC STUDIES
I semestre (Lingue e letterature straniere) dal Sep 28, 2020 al Jan 9, 2021.
The course leads the students to learn the basic features of the literary and cultural history of Russia. At the end of the course, students will be able to: 1) know the most relevant events and the main peculiarities of the Russian history, as well as the essential elements of Modern Russian literature with particular reference to the 19th century; 2) apply the acquired knowledge to the analysis of the literary works presented during the classes, with the help of the provided critical references; 3) have the ability to formulate autonomous judgments about the main themes of the course, and to explain them correctly and coherently.
The course will include an overview of the main 19th century Russian historical, cultural and literary phenomenons. It consists of three parts:
1) an introduction to the Russian culture and a description of the historical framework (XVIII and XIX century with some incursions into the ancient history)
2) a presentation of the main phases of the development of Russian literature in the late 18th and in the 19th century (the emphasis will be on its original dynamics)
3) an itinerary aimed at discovering formal diversity and richness of themes of the Russian literature in the 19th century, deepening some of the authors and the most significant works of the period considered. A narratological analysis of the texts will be conducted using the main critical methodologies.
- A. PUŠKIN, Pikovaja dama (La donna di picche); Kapitanskaja dočka (La figlia del capitano)
- N. GOGOL', Nevskij prospekt (La prospettiva Nevskij); Šinel’ (Il cappotto); Nos (Il naso)
- M. LERMONTOV, Geroj našego vremeni (Un eroe del nostro tempo)
- I. TURGENEV, Otcy i deti (Padri e figli)
- F. DOSTOEVSKIJ, Prestuplenie i nakazanie (Delitto e castigo)
- L. TOLSTOJ, Smert’ Ivana Il’iča (La morte di Ivan Il’ič); Cholstomer
- A. ČECHOV, Smert’ činovnika (La morte di un impiegato); Spat’ chočetsja (La voglia di dormire); Dama s sobačkoj (La signora col cagnolino)
- M. Colucci e R. Picchio (a cura di), Storia della civiltà letteraria russa, Torino, UTET 1997 (the chapters will be selected by the teacher)
- R.P. Bartlett, Storia della Russia, Milano, Mondadori, 2007 or P. Buskovitch, Breve storia della Russia. Dalle origini a Putin, Torino, Einaudi, 2013 (the chapters will be selected by the teacher)
- V. Šklovskij, L'arte come procedimento e B. Tomaševskij, La costruzione dell'intreccio, in AA.VV., I formalisti russi, Torino, Einaudi, 1968 (the chapters will be selected by the teacher)
During the course indications about further critical material to be consulted will be provided. Students will have to register in the e-learning page of the course.
Teaching methods: frontal classes (the students can access the classroom only after booking a place through the UNIVR Lezioni app or they can attend the classes in live streaming).
The classes will include both an overview of Russian History and Literature and the analysis of excerpts from the literary works in the programme.
||I formalisti russi
|M. Colucci e R. Picchio (a cura di)
||Storia della civiltà letteraria russa
||Storia della Russia
Exam in itinere about Russian History (modality to be defined depending on the epidemiologic conditions).
Final oral exam.
The evaluation will consider the following aspects:
- the possession of the historical, cultural and literary notions dealt with during the course and in-depht examined autonomously using the recommended texts
- the ability to make a critical analysis of the literary works with particular attention to the quality of personal rework
- the ability to orient oneself in the different areas of Russian History and Literature
- the autonomy in organizing the speech and a proper use of the language.
This oral exam cannot be taken before passing Saperi Minimi.