Elements of physiology
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
BIO/09 - PHYSIOLOGY
II semestre dal Mar 1, 2016 al Jun 10, 2016.
The aim of this course is to provide to the students the physiological bases to understand: a) the biophysical properties of the plasma membrane and the principles of cell excitability, nerve conduction and synaptic transmission; b) how the nervous system acquires and processes sensory information and how it plans and executes the movement; c) the functional organization of cardiovascular, respiratory, renal, and endocrine system.
• Introduction to human physiology and definition of homeostasis.
• Biophysics of cell membranes: resting membrane potential, equilibrium potential, and action potential.
• Anatomical and functional organization of the nervous system. Electrical and chemical synapses. Inhibitory and excitatory synapses.
• Sensation and sensory processing: somatic sensory, visual, auditory and chemosensory system.
• Movement and its central control: motor system and motor control.
• Learning and memory. Plasticity of the nervous system.
• Visceral motor system and physiological bases of cardiovascular, respiratory and renal system.
• General features of the endocrine system and description of the main functions of hormones.
- Berne-Levy, Principi di Physiology, Elsevier Mosby
- Vander’s Human Physiology, McGraw-Hill
- Stanfield, Principles of Human Physiology, Pearson
- Purves D, et al., Neuroscience, Sinauer Associates