English Language 1 [Cognomi P-Z]
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
L-LIN/12 - LANGUAGE AND TRANSLATION - ENGLISH
Semester 2 dal Feb 26, 2018 al Jun 9, 2018.
The course aims at helping students develop their competence in English with reference to phonetics and morphology; the basics of the history of English from its origins to the present day will also be illustrated.
Pre-requisite: B2 level
- The International Phonetic Alphabet
- speech organs
- vowels and consonants
- place of articulation
- manner of articulation
- intonation and prosody
- functional and lexical words
- inflectional morphology
- derivational morphology
- common affixes in English
3. HISTORY OF ENGLISH
- Mediterraneans, Celts, Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings, Normans
- Old English, Middle English, Modern English
- Main varieties of Present-day English
|Kuiper, Koenraad and W. Scott Allan
||An Introduction to English Language: Word, Sound and Sentence
||English Phonetics and Morphology. A Reader for First Year University Students
||Gimson's Pronunciation of English
||Word-Formation in English
||Cambridge University Press
WRITTEN EXAM: 30 items on phonetics, morphology and on the basics of the history of English.
Here follow the most important topics covered by the exam:
- phonetic transcription / English spelling of a set of words/phrases;
- articulatory description (voicing, place of articulation, manner of articulation) of a set of phonetic symbols;
- assimilation, t-voicing, dark l, clipped syllables;
- stressed/unstressed syllables, content words, nucleus;
- British English vs American English spelling and pronunciation;
- inflectional morphology;
- derivational morphology;
- prefixes and suffixes;
- Celts, Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings, Normans and their languages;
- Old English, Middle English, Modern English: basic aspects;
- Standardization of English and Present-day English.
FOR NON-ATTENDERS: Students who cannot attend the lessons are required to contat the teacher in order to agree on the exam programme.