Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
M-GGR/01 - GEOGRAPHY
The Urban Geography course aims at teaching students new points of view for the analyses of the city. This approach aims at understanding not just the facts, but also the interpretations provided by the residents, according to the hermeneutical paradigm of knowledge. To that end, the course stimulates the students to develop a scientific curiosity towards the geographical areas and the social actors they study (starting from the city and its inhabitants).
Prerequisites and basic notions
basic geographical knowledge
- BASES: geography and urban geography: theoretical frameworks
- CONTEMPORARY ISSUES
*Can we define a city?
*Cities, representations, mental maps
*Cities and social actors
*Cities and sustainable development (UN Agenda 2030)
*Cities and development cooperation
*The contemporary living
- CITY/EDUCATION/SCHOOL: City and geography education: civic education, citizenship, methods and tools
- basic knowledge: Vanolo A., (a cura di), Geografia Umana, Utet, 2019: cap. 1 (Che cos'è la geografia ...) e cap. 10 (Geografia urbana).
- SENNET R., Costruire e abitare. Etica per la città, Milano, Feltrinelli, 2018.
- GAMBERONI E. E I. DUMONT (a cura di), Azione e Innovazione nello spazio pubblico: un'altra urbanità, Geotema, 62, 2020. disponibile al link: https://www.ageiweb.it/geotema/geotema62/. Select the following authors/authors and their papers: Dumont ,Gamberoni ; deSpuches ; Zara,Martinelli,De Vita: Oddi; Puttilli, Bonati, Portinaro; Pasqualetti; Nemac; Castagnoli; Sabatini.
- Documents and information about city/citizenship/school and geographical education will be provided during the course.
Visualizza la bibliografia con Leganto, strumento che il Sistema Bibliotecario mette a disposizione per recuperare i testi in programma d'esame in modo semplice e innovativo.
Participatory lessons, discussions, simulations and direct observations on the territory (if it will be possible).
Learning assessment procedures
Written exam, mainly open questions.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the evolution of the epidemiological situation, the examination may be changed in oral on-line, zoom platform. Any information will be provided during the course.
The evaluation is on scale of 30.
It will consider: knowledge, ability to communicate clearly, proper use of geographical terms, correct answers in terms of spelling, grammar, syntax, semantics.
Criteria for the composition of the final grade