Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
L-FIL-LET/10 - ITALIAN LITERATURE
The main objective of the course is to introduce students to the study of Italian literature through the direct analysis of a corpus of texts representative of a theme of particular importance. Specific attention will be paid to the relationships between literature, publishing and journalism.
At the end of the course the student will be able to
- contextualize, understand and comment autonomously a literary text;
- look at the literary text as a complex organism, in constant dialogue with other areas of Western culture and in particular in close relationship with the publishing and communication world that allow its diffusion and success;
- to move with competence within the framework of the Italian literary tradition and its main thematic and formal characteristics, with particular attention to the intersections with the history of journalism and communication, especially publishing.
The first part of the course will reconstruct the history of journalism in Italy from the eighteenth century to the Unification, focusing on to the social, political and cultural aspects, as well as the communicative, formal and stylistic features. The second part will examine forty years of Italian history (1860-1900) through the pages of the daily and periodical press, written by authors who were active in the journalistic field and destined to stand out for the quality of their writing (Nievo, De Amicis, D’Annunzio, Rovani, Ghislanzoni, Serao and others). Finally, the third part will define the relationships and connections between journalism and literature in Dino Buzzati (1906-1972), in particular through the analysis of crime news articles written over thirty years for the “Corriere della Sera” and the “Corriere d’Informazione ”.
- Paolo Murialdi, “Storia del giornalismo italiano”, Bologna, il Mulino, 2000 o successive edizioni (solo i primi quattro capitoli).
- Dino Buzzati, “La nera”, a cura di Lorenzo Viganò, Milano, Mondadori, 2020.
Non-attending students will add:
- “Buzzati giornalista. Atti del Convegno internazionale”, a c. di Nella Giannetto con la collaborazione di Patrizia Dalla Rosa, Maria Angela Polesana, Erika Bertoldin, Milano, Mondadori, 2000 (five essays of their choice).
- Dino Buzzati, “La nera”, a cura di Lorenzo Viganò, Milano, Mondadori, 2020 (twenty newspaper articles of their choice ); or the selection of newspaper articles (“Cronache ed elzeviri”), in Dino Buzzati, “Opere scelte”, a cura di Giulio Carnazzi, 1998 (or reprints).
- Patrizia Dalla Rosa, “Lassù… laggiù… Il paesaggio veneto nella pagina di Dino Buzzati”, Venezia, Marsilio, 2013.
Visualizza la bibliografia con Leganto, strumento che il Sistema Bibliotecario mette a disposizione per recuperare i testi in programma d'esame in modo semplice e innovativo.
- The proof will be a oral test.
- Target: to check the possess of knowledges and competences acquired during the course; to evaluate linguistic skills, the ability to critically discuss and textual analysis.
- Contents: texts read and analyzed during the course; cultural and biographical contexts involved in texts' genesis; theme aspects concerning the relationships and connections between journalism and literature from the eighteenth to the twentieth century.
- Evaluation: the mark will be expressed out of 30 (thirties).