History of the Republic of Venice (p)
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
M-STO/02 - MODERN HISTORY
1 B dal Nov 15, 2021 al Jan 12, 2022.
The goal of the course is to provide the main coordinates of the history of the city of Venice and the territories subject to it between the fifteenth and eighteenth centuries, to include the history of the Republic in the political, diplomatic and international economic dynamics, to focus on some issues relating to the cultural dimension (learned and popular) including the role of Venice as a center of processing of religious dissent, to highlight the political particularities of the Venetian experience in a perspective of comparison with other Italian and European realities.
• The political and administrative organization of the Venetian state
• The patriciate (structure and composition, social role)
• The economy (markets and merchants, the economy of city and of the mainland, the merchant fleet)
• The administration of justice in Venice and in the territories of the State
• Society and ways of life (daily life, consumption, food, diseases and cures, beliefs etc.)
• Venice in the international context
• Religion (the ecclesiastical organization and folk religion. The inquisition and heresy).
• Publishing and book trade
• Public opinion and its control (newspapers and journals, ridotti and coffee-houses, ambassadors, State Inquisitors, forbidden books etc.)
• Culture (the arts and sciences, academies, the printing press, popular culture)
• Spaces and times of daily life
• Myth and anti-myth of Venice
Visualizza la bibliografia con Leganto, strumento che il Sistema Bibliotecario mette a disposizione per recuperare i testi in programma d'esame in modo semplice e innovativo.
The examination will take place in oral form. Students must demonstrate that they have understood the structures of Venetian history, that they are able to correctly place problems and events, and that they know the most relevant themes of the historiographic debate. The evaluation shall be assigned in 30/30. The examination test will be the same for attending and not attending students.