Elements of physiology
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
BIO/09 - PHYSIOLOGY
Secondo semestre dal Mar 6, 2023 al Jun 16, 2023.
The aim of this course is to provide to the students the physiological bases to understand: a) the bio-physical properties of the plasma membrane and the principles of cell excitability, nerve conduction and synaptic transmission; b) how the nervous system acquires and processes sensory information and how it plans and executes the movement; c) the functional organization of cardiovascular, res-piratory, renal, and endocrine system. At the end of the course, the students will have to demonstrate knowledge of the basics of the func-tioning of the human body and the ability to use this knowledge in bioinformatics
Prerequisites and basic notions
There are no special prerequisites, although a basic knowledge of Biology and Anatomy will be useful.
• Introduction to human physiology and definition of homeostasis.
• Biophysics of cell membranes: resting membrane potential, equilibrium potential, and action potential.
• Anatomical and functional organization of the nervous system.
• Electrical and chemical synapses. Inhibitory and excitatory synapses.
• Sensation and sensory processing: somatic, visual, auditory and chemosensory systems.
• Movement and its control: muscle, motor units, movement planning and control.
• Autonomous nervous system and physiological bases of the cardiovascular, respiratory, urinary and digestive system.
• General features of the endocrine system and description of the main functions of hormones.
Visualizza la bibliografia con Leganto, strumento che il Sistema Bibliotecario mette a disposizione per recuperare i testi in programma d'esame in modo semplice e innovativo.
Teaching will be in presence.
Learning assessment procedures
There will be an oral examination, to assess the proficiency acquired with respect to the topics in the course programme.
The evaluation will take into consideration the skill in expressing the knowledge acquired with properties of language, as well as the logical ability and critical reasoning applied to the described physiological phenomena.
Criteria for the composition of the final grade
The overall grade will be expressed in thirtieths.
English (if necessary)