Here you can find information on the organisational aspects of the Programme, lecture timetables, learning activities and useful contact details for your time at the University, from enrolment to graduation.
The academic calendar shows the deadlines and scheduled events that are relevant to students, teaching and technical-administrative staff of the University. Public holidays and University closures are also indicated. The academic year normally begins on 1 October each year and ends on 30 September of the following year.
The Academic Calendar sets out the degree programme lecture and exam timetables, as well as the relevant university closure dates..
Definition of lesson periods
Lezioni CLID Rov. 1 semestre
Oct 1, 2019
Dec 20, 2019
Lezioni CLID Rov. 2 semestre
Mar 2, 2020
May 8, 2020
Exam dates and rounds are managed by the relevant Medicine Teaching and Student Services Unit.
To view all the exam sessions available, please use the Exam dashboard on ESSE3.
If you forgot your login details or have problems logging in, please contact the relevant IT HelpDesk, or check the login details recovery web page.
The Study Plan includes all modules, teaching and learning activities that each student will need to undertake during their time at the University. Please select your Study Plan based on your enrolment year.
The course’s aim is to teach students, in line with the proposals of the Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization, on the promotion of oral health and the prevention of oral diseases in children and the theoretical skills required to complete a professional oral hygiene session with pediatric age patients.
THE PREGNANT WOMAN
• The pregnancy: development of the fetus.
• Harmful factors for the fetus (infections, drugs, tobacco). Oral manifestations in pregnancy and predisposing factors of oral disease. Main hormonal and physiological changes of the oral cavity.
• The main pathologies in the oral cavity: gingivitis and periodontitis, gingival hyperplasia (epidis in pregnant women), dental caries, erosion of the enamel, dentinal hypersensitivity.
• Predisposing factors for oral diseases during pregnancy Influence of periodontitis on adverse pregnancy outcomes.
• Pathological complications of pregnancy: pregnancy hyperemesis, gestational diabetes, gravid hypertension. Important nutrients in pregnancy: folic acid and vitamin D.
• Promotion of oral health from the prenatal to the neonatal period Oral and professional oral hygiene in pregnant women.
• Position of the patient in an armchair and scheduling of the sessions.
• Promotion of oral health and prevention of oral diseases at age 0-2: promoting breastfeeding and milk properties, the influence of maternal lactation on oral cavity formation, preventing vertical transmission of bacteria from mother-child oral cavity, nutrition education and ECC prevention Early childhood caries, fluoroprophylaxis, home oral hygiene, first dental visit.
• Association between fever and teeth eruption.
• National guidelines for the promotion of oral health and prevention of oral diseases in developmental age (2013).
• Recommendations for the promotion of oral health in perinatal age 2014.
HINTS OF EMBRYOLOGY
• Embryological development of the facial massif and tooth: (odontogenesis, dentinogenesis, amelogenesis). Post-natal development of the facial skull.
• Teeth in the human species and eruptive phases.
• Chronological stages of development and eruption of deciduous teeth and permanent teeth. The difference between permanent and deciduous teeth.
• Morphology of deciduous and permanent teeth.
• Alterations related to tooth development and risk factors.
• Dental anomalies of eruption, number, structure, location, position, volume, shape, development. Oral traumas.
• Developmental defects: cleft lip, cleft palate and cleft palate; risk factors and classifications. Oral, physical and general characteristics. Oral hygiene interventions.
THE CHILD PATIENT
• Dentistry in children and dental phobia.
• How to approach children in different age groups in dentistry. Home and professional oral hygiene in different age groups: 0-2 years, 2-6 years, 6-12 years.
• Prevention and promotion of oral health in developmental age.
• Recognize the risk factors of malocclusions.
• harmful habits: thumb sucking or pacifier interposition of the lower lip, atypical swallowing, oral breathing.
• Role of the hygienist in children’s care.
• Caries risk factors. Evaluation of caries risk and salivary test.
• How to draw up a personalized prevention plan.
• National epidemiological survey on oral health conditions in children aged 4 and 12 in Italy 2017 (WHO).
PIT AND FISSURE SEALANTS
• Anatomy of the furrows, pits and fissures. Types of sealants.
• Indication and contraindications to seal. Dental sealants are materials.
• Operating procedures.
• THE RUBBER DAM
• Advantages and contraindications, materials and accessories, types of rubber dams and types of hooks.
• Assembly techniques for the dam.
THE ORTHODONTIC PATIENT
• Occlusion, malocclusion and Angle classifications.
• Prevention of dental and periodontal health: before, during and after orthodontic treatment.
• Food instruction.
• Oral hygiene devices for fixed and mobile braces.
• Oral and professional oral hygiene of mobile and fixed braces.
• The most frequent problems of orthodontic treatment.
• The role of dental hygienist within the team.
THE ADOLESCENT PATIENT
• The preventive role of the dental hygienist and the approach to the adolescent patient.
• Oral health and food (dental cavities and enamel erosions).
• Oral health and behavioral disorders. Bacterial plaque, gingivitis, periodontal disease.
• Effects on the oral health of tobacco, alcohol, drugs and piercings.
• Oral cancer: early signs and symptoms.
• Management of dental trauma.
• Ministry of Health: indications for the promotion of oral health in secondary schools (December 2014).
• Ministry of Health: National guidelines for the prevention and clinical management of dental traumas in individuals in children (February 2018).
Abbinante Antonia - Cortesi Ardizzone Viviana
Igienista orale. Teoria e pratica professionale
Esther M. Wilkins
La Pratica clinica dell'Igienista Dentale
Type D and Type F activities
Modules not yet included
News for students
There you will find information, resources and services useful during your time at the University (Student’s exam record, your study plan on ESSE3, Distance Learning courses, university email account, office forms, administrative procedures, etc.). You can log into MyUnivr with your GIA login details.
I servizi e le attività di orientamento sono pensati per fornire alle future matricole gli strumenti e le informazioni che consentano loro di compiere una scelta consapevole del corso di studi universitario.