Political philosophy SC (p)
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
SPS/01 - POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY
CuCi IA dal Sep 21, 2020 al Oct 31, 2020.
The course aims to provide examples of the contribution that philosophy can bring:
- to the understanding of political problems, as an exercise in critical thinking;
- to public communication, as a practice of rational argumentation.
At the end of the course the student should demonstrate:
- to have acquired a precise knowledge of the topics addressed in the course;
- to be able to expose them in an orderly and synthetic way;
- to have developed the ability to formulate its/her own judgment.
Planete Earth is dealing today with an unprecedented ecological question.
Can we face in a proper political way the challenges posed by this global crises?
The Course aims to introduce and discuss the issue starting from some fundemental philosophical-political concepts and from the work of André Gorz. Thus, the first part will be particularly devoted to the concepts of "(political) citizenship" and "freedom", "property" and "(capital) accumulation". The second part will then focus on the reading of A. Gorz, "Ecologia e libertà", which can be considered as a classic in political ecology.
1. S. Petrucciani, “Modelli di filosofia politica”, Einaudi 2003: Capitoli I-V e pp. 167-174.
2. A. Gorz, "Ecologia e libertà", a cura di E. Leonardi, Orthotes 2015.
METHODS AND CONTACTS
1. S. Petrucciani, “Modelli di filosofia politica”, Einaudi 2003 (pp. 33-57, 77-88, 91-113, 125-42, 150-63).
2. Classics: selected passages from Aristotele, John Locke, Karl Marx, Hannah Arendt (available on Moodle).
3. A. Gorz, "Ecologia e libertà", ed. by E. Leonardi, Orthotes 2015.
Lectures will be based on reading and discussion of texts and topics.
Students will receive the full lesson calendar and further information on the first day of class.
Informations and some texts and documents will be available on Moodle.
Throughout the academic year, the teacher holds "Ricevimento studenti" (office hours) at the times indicated on her webpage (it is recommended that you consult the page to be informed of any changes): http://www.dsu.univr.it/?ent=persona&id=20137&lang=it
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
||Ecologia e libertà
||Modelli di filosofia politica
Written exam. Exam sessions: from January to September 2020.
STANDARD FINAL EXAM
The exam (90 minutes) is divided into two parts: A and B.
Part A consists of a questionnaire with 3 specific open answers (45 minutes; 0-30/30).
Part B consists of 1 open answer on a general topic (45 minutes; 0-30/30).
Final evaluation: 0-30/30 (average value for the two parts).
The following will be evaluated: pertinence of the information provided in the answers; consequentiality of the arguments; ability to autonomously process the knowledge acquired.
ATTENTION: Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, during the 2020-21 academic year the assessment modality could be modified. Information will be updated if needed.