Speech and language disorders, learning disabilities and psychological development
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
M-PSI/04 - DEVELOPMENTAL AND EDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY
The course focuses on theoretical, epistemological, methodological and educational issues, examining specific learning disabilities and children's language delay and impairments. In addition, the course allows students to integrate theoretical knowledge in order to design intervention programs, based on observational indices.
Specifically, the expected learning outcomes are as follows:
1) knowledge and understanding of the development of the learning processes of reading, writing and mathematics during school age, with reference to the main theoretical models; knowledge and understanding of the principle classifications and characteristics of learning difficulties and disabilities; knowledge and understanding of language development and language difficulties and impairments;
2) knowledge and understanding of the role of memory and attention in language and learning development;
3) the ability to critically take into account the relationship between the characteristics of the child (individual factors, skills, how he/she learns), characteristics of the school environment (education, teaching methods, the class group and the wider school setting) and other contexts in order to determine the outcomes of language delays and impairments and learning disabilities and difficulties;
4) the ability to apply the knowledge acquired in the process of observation in order to design and implement educational programs in various educational contexts, particularly for language delays and learning difficulties.
1) Introduction. Principal theoretical, epistemological, methodological and educational issues on children’s language and learning development. Distinction between language delay and language impairment; learning difficulties and learning disabilities.
2) Linguistic, cognitive, socio-emotional and motivational aspects of children’s language and learning development.
3) Language delay and impairment. Definition, classification, theoretical models. Specific Language Impairment (SLI). Observational procedures in educational and family contexts. Prerequisites and early indicators of language difficulties. Early intervention programs for language delay.
4) Theoretical model for learning development. Learning difficulties and specific learning disabilities. The relationship between SLI and dyslexia. Principal diagnostic categories of learning difficulties and disabilities.
5) Prerequisites and early indicators of learning disabilities: the problem of a screening procedure. Recent norms in diagnosis and educational programs. School and specific learning disabilities. Support programs for families and teachers.
The exam will consist of a written test only. The student will have 2 hours to answer 5 open questions.
Cornoldi, C. (2007). Difficoltà e disturbi dell'apprendimento. Bologna: Edizioni Il Mulino.
Caselli, C., & Capirci O. (2002). Indici di rischio nel primo sviluppo del linguaggio. Ricerca, clinica educazione. Milano: Edizioni Franco Angeli.
Majorano, M. (2007). Ascoltare il linguaggio dei bambini. Dalla comunicazione preverbale alle prime parole. Milano: Edizioni Unicopli.