Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
L-FIL-LET/10 - ITALIAN LITERATURE
The course aims to give students a full knowledge of the diachronic dimension of Italian literature, from the thirteenth to the sixteenth century, to enable them to master the essential tools (linguistic, syntactic, stylistic, rhetorical, metrical ...) for reading and for the interpretation of texts, structures and forms.
Prerequisites: Notions of philology, stylistic, metric, rhetoric, history of criticism; Knowledge of manuals (level 'high school') of the texts and the fundamental lines of development of the Italian literary tradition from the Origins to the whole 16th Century. These prerequisites will be recalled during the lessons and will be the subject of a dedicated teaching support seminar.
Introductory part: Presentation of the main moments and authors of the Italian literary tradition from the Origins to the 16th Century, with analysis of exemplary texts.
Advanced part: Literature, Politics and History: Niccolò Machiavelli
• Introductory part:
1. G. Tellini, Letteratura italiana. Un metodo di studio, Firenze, Le Monnier Università, 2011, pp. 3-162 (the first section: Dalle Origini al Rinascimento)
2. Anthology of texts of the major authors of our literary tradition from the Origins to the Renaissance. The anthology will be entered into the e-learning platform.The texts to be analyzed will be indicated by the teacher during the course. The students who are not attending will have to present the written and detailed list of the selected songs, in pain of exclusion from the exam. These pieces will be chosen by each of the following works according to the deliveries shown below:
-DANTE ALIGHIERI, Divina Commedia: Five Cantos among those in anthology
-FRANCESCO PETRARCA, chansonnier: Five pieces, of which at least one song
-GIOVANNI BOCCACCIO, Decameron: five novels
-LUDOVICO ARIOSTO, Orlando Furioso: One of the songs in the anthology
-TORQUATO TASSO, Gerusalemme liberata: one of the Cantos in anthology
• ADVANCED PART: The Antique, the Modern, the Classic. Culture, poetry and Literature in Francesco Petrarca
A) TEXTS (everyone obligatory)
- FRANCESCO PETRARCA, Canzoniere, ed. by Marco Santagata, Milano, Mondador Oscar Classici, 2018 (also: ed. by Sabrina Stroppa, intr. of Paolo Cherchi, Torino, Einaudi, 2005; or also: ed. by Paola Vecchi Galli, annot. by S. Cremonini, Milano, BUR, 2012)
- FRANCESCO PETRARCA, Secretum, a cura di Ugo Dotti, Milano, BUR, 2015; or also: Il mio segreto, a cura di Enrico Fenzi, Milano, Mursia, 2015
- other Petrarch's writings (from Rime, Familiari, Senili, Metricae, Trionfi, Africa, Salmi penitenziali, De vita solitaria, Invectivae contra medicum, ecc.) will be collected by the teacher in a DISPENSA, that will be entered into the University platform e-learning but also available in a copy shop
B) REFERENCE BOOKS (everyone obligatory):
- ERNEST HATCH WILKINS, Vita del Petrarca e La formazione del Canzoniere, a cura di Remo Ceserani, Milano, Feltrinelli, 1990
- NATASCIA TONELLI, Leggere il Canzoniere, Bologna, il Mulino, 2017
C) The student is also required to study one of the following CRITICAL MONOGRAPHIES:
- PAOLO CHERCHI, Verso la chiusura. Saggio sul Canzoniere di Petrarca, Bologna, il Mulino, 2008
- MARZIANO GUGLIELMINETTI, Petrarca e il petrarchismo. Un’ideologia della letteratura, Torino, Paravia, 1977
- MARCO SANTAGATA, I frammenti dell’anima. Storia e racconto nel Canzoniere di Petrarca, Bologna, il Mulino, 1992
- NATASCIA TONELLI, «Per queste orme». Studi sul Canzoniere di Petrarca, Pisa, Pacini, 2016
Lesson schemes, notes and additional teaching materials will be placed on the digital "e-learning" platform, which all students are required to consult regularly for notices regarding the organization of the course during its unfolding. Additional materials and bibliography indications will be provided during the lessons. Since the introductions and possible appendixes of the listed volumes are an integral part of the program, it is strongly recommended that you use the editions listed here.
Teaching methods: Frontal lessons. Exercises in reading and interpreting literary texts. Eventually, seminars and written exercises
Visualizza la bibliografia con Leganto, strumento che il Sistema Bibliotecario mette a disposizione per recuperare i testi in programma d'esame in modo semplice e innovativo.
The oral examination evaluates a student’s overall preparation and the direct knowledge and analysis of texts.