English literature and culture 1 [Cognomi F-O]
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
L-LIN/10 - ENGLISH LITERATURE
I semestre dal Oct 1, 2015 al Jan 9, 2016.
Crime and the Unconscious
The course aims at analysing the investigation of the unconscious in English literature with a specific focus on the cultural milieu of the fin de siècle.
Primary Texts (to be read in their original edition, NOT abridged):
O. Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray (1890) (ed. Penguin)
P. Ackroyd, Dan Leno and the Limehouse Golem (1998) (ed. Vintage)
R. Stevenson, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1886) (ed. Penguin)
- S. Onega, “Dan Leno and The Limehouse Golem and Milton In America”, in S. Onega, Metafiction and Myth in the Novels of Peter Ackroyd, 1999 (pp. 133-147 the part on Dan Leno and the Limehouse Golem)
- S. Arata, “The Sedulous Ape: Atavism, Professionalism, and Stevenson’s Jekyll and Hyde”, in S. Arata Fictions of Loss in the Victorian Fin de Siècle, pp. 33-53.
- J. McComrmack, “Wilde’s fiction(s)”, in P. Raby ed. The Cambridge Companion to Oscar Wilde, 1997, pp. 96-117.
History of English Literature: from the Victorian age to the contemporary period
- P. Poplawski, ed., English Literature in Context, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2008
- A. Sanders, The Short Oxford History of English Literature, Oxford University Press, 1994
Students unable to attend lectures are required to get in touch before preparing for the exam.