Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
L-LIN/10 - ENGLISH LITERATURE
I SEMESTRE dal Oct 3, 2016 al Jan 21, 2017.
The course “THE ENLIGHTENMENT” will show how literature, and the novel, in particular, deal with the new scientific rather than theological understanding of the world. Identities and their related ethnic and social issues will become more relevant. Through this filter, we will analyze how the aesthetic, cultural, economic, philosophical and scientific changes of this sophisticated age, rich in dramatic historical events, will permeate the literary field.
The course is in English.
1. History of Literature from 1660 to 1830.
All Students must demonstrate to be able to illustrate the development of the various literary genres and to know pertaining authors.
Y. Bezrucka, A Synopsis of English Literature, Quiedit, Verona, 2017
2. LITERARY WORKS to be studied:
- Joseph Addison, The Pleasures of the Imagination, online
- Alexander Pope, The Rape of the Lock, one canto of choice
- Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, Penguin or Oxford edition.
- C. Bronte, Wuthering Heights, Penguin or Oxford edition.
- Susan Meyer, Imperialism at Home: Race and Victorian Women's Fiction, Cornell UP, Ithaca, NY, 1996, pp. 1-29, 96-125.
- Patrick Brantlinger, “The Gothic Origins of Science Fiction”, “Novel”, Vol. 14, No. 1, Autumn 1980, pp. 30-43.
- H.L. Malchow, “Frankenstein’s Monster and Images of Race in Nineteenth-Century Britain”, ‘Past & Present’, No. 139, May 1993, pp. 90-130.
- Angela Wright, “Gothic Fiction: A Reader’s Guide to Essential Criticism”, Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke, 2007, Introd., ch. 2, 4, 5.
- Y. Bezrucka (2017, 4rd ed.) A Synopsis of English Literature (Verona: QuiEdit).
- Y. Bezrucka, "L'invenzione del paesaggio nordico tra Settecento e Ottocento", in Il paesaggio romantico, Fiorini, Verona 2012, pp. 41-67.
- Y. Bezrucka, Genio e immaginazione (2002) Valdonega, Università di Verona, pagine specificate
- Y. Bezrucka, Beehive-Images, and Politics in Bernard De Mandeville’s 'The Fable of the Bees': Empiricism vs. Innatism; Cardozo Law Bulletin, 2016.