European Union Law
Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
IUS/14 - EUROPEAN UNION LAW
1° periodo di lezioni dal Sep 28, 2020 al Dec 14, 2020.
The course is intended to provide students with the legal tools and methodologies necessary to understand the European integration process, in the light of its interplay with both international and domestic legal orders. To this aim, the course will focus on the EU institutional system and the main fields of intervention of the European Union by means of the study of the Treaties and the case law of the Court of Justice. In this context, ultimate aim of the course is to acquire full command of EU legal sources and awareness of the evolution of European legal order.
In summary, the following topics will be covered:
I. INSTITUTIONAL MODULE
• history of the European integration;
• the institutional structure of the European Union: the institutions, the organs and their functioning;
• EU competences;
• the system of the EU legal sources and the features of the EU acts;
• the interplay between EU and national law, also in relation to the internal regional dimension;
• the jurisdictional protection;
• the EU external relations, the EU joint foreign and security policy;
• the fundamental rights in the EU legal system;
• the European citizenship.
II. EU POLICIES MODULE
• fundamental freedoms: goods, persons, services and establishment
• EU competition law: general overview, modernization of EU competition law, EU rules on competition addressed to undertakings (prohibition of restrictive agreements and abuse of dominant position) and to Member States (State aids);
• common commercial policy;
• Economic and monetary Union.
Classes are taught in Italian and will take place both in the classroom and online. For online lessons, please access the e-learning platform "Moodle" to find the respective Zoom link, where also the link to Panopto cloud with all recordings is available.
The teaching will comprise both lectures focused on the study of the basic notions and legal sources regarding European Union law and practical lectures during which the relevant case law will be discussed.
During the lessons the Professor will avail herself of presentations in powerpoint files or will screen datasheets through other multimedia device. The teaching materials used during the course, to be added to the reference books, will be provided to the students through the e-learning platform "Moodle".
|G. Strozzi (a cura di)
||Diritto dell’Unione europea. Parte speciale
||G. Giappichelli Editore
||A tutti gli Studenti è richiesto lo studio delle seguenti pagine: 1-97, 175-299, 328-490, 545-598.
Agli Studenti Erasmus che scelgono di sostenere l'esame orale in lingua italiana è richiesto lo studio delle pagine: 1-97, 241-299, 328-364, 381-448, 545-598.
||European Constitutional Law
||Cambridge University Press
||Only for the Erasmus Students who choose to take the exam orally in English.
|P. Mengozzi, C. Morviducci
||Istituzioni di diritto dell’Unione europea
||A tutti gli Studenti è richiesto lo studio del manuale indicato.
All Students are required to prepare the exam on this textbook, except for the Erasmus Students taking the exam in English.
||Unione europea. Trattati
||G. Giappichelli Editore
||A fini della preparazione dell’esame è necessaria la conoscenza delle norme contenute nei Trattati (TUE e TFUE). A tutti gli Studenti è consigliato quindi di accompagnare lo studio del manuale con un codice, della casa editrice di preferenza. Il testo indicato è solamente suggerito come testo di riferimento. | All Students are required to support the study of the textbooks with an updated edition of the Treaty of the European Union and the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.
An oral test for both Italian and Erasmus students will be held with a view to ascertaining, besides the knowledge of the topics of the course, that the student has developed sufficient analytical abilities. In particular, the oral examination is aimed at assessing:
- the level of the preparation of the student;
- the use of the appropriate legal jargon;
- the ability of connecting the different topics of the programme;
- the analytical skills.
More information on the oral test will be provided in due course.