Scientific Disciplinary Sector (SSD)
L-ART/05 - PERFORMING ARTS
By analyzing specific issues of the History of theatre, we intend to introduce the student to the theoretical and methodological tools offered by the representative medium, regarding the field of communication and to the comparison between different theatrical traditions. At the end of the course students will be able to contextualize, comprehend and examine on their own the meaning of each coefficient proposed by a prose show.
In 1921 “Six Characters in Search of an Author” by Luigi Pirandello, a text destined to change the fate of Italian theatre, made its debut at the valle Theatre in Rome with a very little success. The reflections included in the play represent the most authoritative point of arrival of a lively cultural debate aimed at denouncing the precarious conditions in which Italian theatre finds itself in the early twentieth century and at claiming the primacy of the dramaturgical conception over the mise en scène. During the lessons the nineteenth-century theatrical contest that created the conditions for the birth of this masterpiece will be deepened, starting from one of the texts that should have given life to the nascent Italian dramaturgy: “Goldoni and his sixteen new comedies”, by Paolo Ferrari.
1. Non-attending students will integrate the bibliography with the study of: Luigi Allegri, "Prima lezione sul teatro", Laterza, 2012.
2. Paolo Ferrari, "Goldoni e le sue sedici commedie nuove" (fotocopie).
3. Luigi Pirandello, "Sei personaggi in cerca d’autore" (edizione a scelta).
4. Denis Diderot, "Paradosso sull’attore", saggio introduttivo e cura di Paola Degli Esposti, Roma, Audino, 2021 [new edition].
5. Paola Degli Esposti, "L’attore nell’Ottocento europeo. La prassi e la teoria", Roma, Audino, 2021.
6. Study of a drama of your choice among the following: Sofocle, "Antigone"; Ariosto, "La cassaria"; Shakespeare, "La bisbetica domata"; Molière, "Il malato immaginario"; Goldoni, "Il teatro comico"; Ibsen, "Rosmersholm"; Čechov, "Il gabbiano"; Strindberg, "Il pellicano"; Pirandello, "Così è se vi pare"; Brecht, "Vita di Galileo"; Beckett, "Aspettando Godot".
7. Study of the first seven chapters of the following manual: Luigi Allegri (a cura di), "Storia del teatro. Le idee e le forme dello spettacolo dall'antichità a oggi", Roma, Carocci, 2017, pp. 15-287.
Lectures alongside the analysis of sources of various kinds (archive documents, iconography, theatrical performances, films, video fragments, audio, etc.).
Conferences, sources, readings, and critical texts will be further specified during the course. Some materials, necessary for the preparation of the exam, will be available in the e-learning site. The critical commentary of the theatrical or cinematographic adaptations analysed during the lectures will be part of the examination. A specific bibliography will be provided for ERASMUS students.
N.B.: A cycle of lessons will be activated for the specific study of the manual.
Visualizza la bibliografia con Leganto, strumento che il Sistema Bibliotecario mette a disposizione per recuperare i testi in programma d'esame in modo semplice e innovativo.
Oral exam with final evaluation. The questions proposed to the candidates will, on the one hand, test their knowledge of the History of theatre with exemplifications offered by one of the dramas of the list; on the other hand, they will test the ability to analyze theoretical concepts and performances following the models showed during the lessons.